Re: Netware by way More than a Nose

Autor: Artur Pioro (artur_at_thp2.if.uj.edu.pl)
Data: Wed 02 Nov 1994 - 13:39:06 MET

>> Szymon Sokol (szymon_at_uci.agh.edu.pl) wrote:
>> : Blizsze. Co nie znaczy, ze identyczne. Jakby byly identyczne, to nie byloby
>> : tej calej dyskusji. Novell jest bardziej efektywny w sieciach lokalnych,
>> : jako sposob dostepu do fileservera, niz NFS/UDP.
>>
>> Novell jest faktycznie dosc szybki. Ale prosilbym o uscislenie:
>> Czy wieksza szybkosc Novell vs UNIX/NFS wynika z samego servera,
>> czy z tego, ze klient NFS jest gorszy od IPX/NETX ?

Tak apropos taczacej sie tu dyskusji zauwazylem pokrewny watek gdzie
indziej:

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware,comp.sys.sun.hardware
From: robinson_at_jetsun.eng.sun.com (David Robinson)
Subject: Re: network fileserver, What should I get?
Date: 18 Oct 1994 21:40:45 GMT

In article <bbrelinCxowsD.Dt3_at_netcom.com>,
Braun Brelin <bbrelin_at_netcom.com> wrote:
>In article <367g3o$t5j_at_rfx.rfx.com>, pelican_at_rfx.rfx.com (Kevin Mullican) writes:
>> I will need a machine to act as a mail gateway, news gateway, www site,
>> anonymous ftp drop, etc. for the entire network. Obviously, the machine
>> needs to be pretty secure, stable, fairly easy to admin, and tcp/ip friendly.
>My $.02. Don't mess around with general-purpose computers for file servers.
>If you want a file server, *get* a file server. The best file server
>on the planet today is made by Auspex Systems. I *strongly* suggest that
>you call them (They have a 1-800 number for sales which I don't remember off
>of the top of my head. You can send them e-mail at info_at_auspex.com).
>They are unbeatable for reliability, performance and customer service.

Given that he wants a system to do more than just file serving I don't
concur with your opinion. A general purpose machine is probably
more appropriate.

I also don't agree that Auspex is the best file server on the planet
in terms of price, performance, and reliablility (customer service is
subjective). The top two fastest NFS file servers are a DEC cluster
and a Sun SMP server, Auspex is #3. For price performance or administration
I don't think anyone beats Network Appliance FASserver.

Auspex used to own the NFS file service market, but they have serious
competition these days. Most general purpose vendors now have highly
competitive products in the NFS market.

        -David

Artur Pioro				         artur_at_thp1.if.uj.edu.pl
System & Network Management                   tel. +48-12-336377 ex. 575
Physics Department       Jagiellonian University          Cracow, Poland