Re: Multimedialna myszka???

Autor: Wagus (wagus_at_ae.katowice.pl)
Data: Mon 06 Dec 1999 - 21:57:33 MET

Witam,

Myszka multimedialną długo nie była - wystarczyło... zamknąć obudowę.

Oto odpowiedź z grupy alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

Autor zaznacza, że:
"Many of the above [mentioned below] suggestions can be used by ANYONE for a
multiple of system trouble shooting tips - including devices not being
recognized by the system' POST/BIOS test or by Windows PNP."

"Before reading on, make sure that the following is 'true'.
a) Are ALL of the ISA and PCI cards screwed into the chassis? - ISA cards
rely heavily on the card being screwed in for it's ground. PCI cards not as
much since they have more grounds assigned to pins in the PCI bus.
b) Make sure that the computer's chassis is CLOSED and that the speaker(s)
are not sitting next to or near the chassis.
c) Verify that all of the cards (ISA and PCI) are sitting 'squarely' in
their slot and that none are in at an angle.
d) Does this problem happen if you change the physical location (connector)
on the back of the computer? - You can change the BIOS settings so that
"COM-2" behaves like "COM-1" and vise-versa.
e) Are you over-clocking your CPU? If you are running the PCI bus any
higher than PCI-66 (i.e., 75, 83MHz, etc) you are most likely pushing the
card(s) out of spec., which is causing the signals to interfere with one
another. - Solution? Reduce the system's bus speed and or purchase cards
(modem, sound, video (PCI or AGP, SCSI etc) that can operate reliably at
higher speeds -OR- purchase a faster CPU that will use a 66MHz bus and a
higher multiplier or utilize a 100MHz bus (they all have the PCI-66 bus
speed) and a newer faster CPU.

If you have checked and double checked the above, the problem can most
likely be solved - although it may take several attempts to get it all
working.

Q1: Are you using 1 or 2 (two) sound cards in your system at any single
time?

Answer: 1 sound card installed

1a: If you only have 1 sound card installed at any one time and both
installations/setups are having the identical problem, I would swap out the
mouse with a 'better quality' or 'less banged up' serial mouse.

1b: Or better yet, replace it with a new USB mouse and I'm 99.9% sure the
crackeling will disapear. - the USB controller is better isolated from
other system components (ISA bus) than the standard serial port(s)

Answer 2: Both (2) sound cards installed

If you have both sound cards installed, I would suspect either their is
noise either being generated by (most likely) your ISA sound card or another
card (ISA or PCI) in your system which is 'feeding back' noise to your ISA
sound card.

1) First, remove the ISA sound card (leaving only your PCI sound card
installed) and see if the problem goes away. - If the problem goes away,
the problem lies with the ISA sound card or another card interfering with
the ISA sound card.
If you still have the problem, borrow a friends or neighbors USB or at the
very least, a PS/2 mouse with a heavy cord. If this fixes it, replace your
mouse. It's bad.
2) If removing the card works, then I would get a "gum" eraser (not the red
one found on pencils) and lightly clean off the 'edge (ISA) connector' -
both sides then wipe it with a towel with rubbing alcohol (not any other
kind of alcohol or cleaner) replace it and see if that corrects the
problem. - If it goes away, the contacts were dirty on the ISA card and the
card was most likely not properly being grounded.
If the problem continues, try changing the ISA slot used (I don't recall if
the board you have has 1, 2 or 3 ISA slots). When you change the slots,
also change the order of the other PCI cards in the system. Sometimes the
frequency of card 'a' can effect the way card 'y' operates and if you place
card 'z' between them, the problem(s) go away.

If none of these things work, I would consider replacing the sound card in
your system.

The problem you are describing is very common with ISA based sound cards.
What I would recommend doing is placing the sound (ISA) card is the
outermost slot first. If the doesn't

I hope something from the above BOOK corrected your problem.

-John Freiman"

Pozdrawiam,

--
Waguś