Re: Enhanced IDE kontra ATA-2

Autor: Lukasz Bienkowski (LBIENK_at_Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl)
Data: Fri 17 Nov 1995 - 13:08:16 MET

[...]

> Ciekawostka: ostatnio czytalem, ze odradza sie podlaczania
> na jednym kanale zarowno szybkich (dysk) jak i wolnych urzadzen
> (CD-ROM, streamer). Powodem jest brak mozliwosci tymczasowego
> przerwania raz wydanej komendy (aby ja pozniej na nowo aktywowac)
> lub zmiany kolejnosci w kolejce polecen - tak jak to robi SCSI.
> Powoduje to, ze szybki dysk musi czekac na wolny CD-ROM (ATAPI),
> az ten zakonczy swoj transfer danych. Takie cos, zwlaszcza w
> systemach multitasking, powoduje obnizenie ogolnej performance.
> Nalezy zatem wolnejsze urzadzenie podlaczyc jako master ma np.
> drugim kanale. Jak wczesniej wspomnialem oba kanaly maja osobne
> magistrale sterujace, a wiec do takich systuacji nie powinno
> dochodzic. Ciekawi mnie tylko jak jest z tymczasowam wstrzymaniem
> raz zainicjowanego transferu danych ? Oba kanaly dziela przeciez
> miedzy soba magistrale danych !

Oto fragment pliku ATAPI.FAQ pochodzacego z dystrybucji Linuxa:

atapi.FAQ - Your most frequently asked questions about
        ATAPI/IDE CDROM drives.

    Author: Mathew E. Kirsch
        Systems Manager - Computing Graphics Engineering Technology
        SUNY at Alfred, Alfred NY 14802
        kirschm_at_snyalfva.cc.alfredtech.edu

Q5: I've heard that putting my ATAPI CDROM and my IDE hard drive on
the same IDE channel slows down the hard drive. What is the story?

A5: From my personal experience (and the experience of several
others who commented on the subject), there is no truth to the rumor
that putting the CDROM and HDD on the same channel slows things down.
The rumor states that the MEDIA TRANSFER RATE is set to the speed of
the slowest device on the IDE channel. This is wrong. The real rumor
should be that the INSTRUCTION TRANSFER RATE is set to the speed of
the slower device on the IDE channel. Since the instructions are
handled in firmware (the logic chips on the control boards on the
drives) rather than on the spinning media, the only reason the
INSTRUCTION TRANSFER RATE would be slower on one device is due to a
poor design by the manufacturer. You mileage may vary here, because
the rumor may actually be true if you're using certain IDE/EIDE
controller boards. If you are experiencing the slowdown when your
CDROM and HDD are on the same IDE channel, send the brand and model
of your controller to me, and I'll list it here.

> Rafal

           Lukasz Bienkowski - lbienk_at_vela.filg.uj.edu.pl
Uniwersytet Jagiellonski - Wydzial Filologiczny - Coll. Paderevianum
 31-120 Krakow, al. Mickiewicza 9/11, p. 908, tel. 33-63-77 w. 322