Star Office

Autor: Lech Wiktor Piotrowski (lewhoo_at_teamos2.org.pl)
Data: Wed 03 Mar 1999 - 16:02:00 MET

[1999-03-03] - Fast Staroffice 5.0 for OS/2

    I have discovered a way to set up Staroffice 5.0 for OS/2 so most of the apps will run
much faster. This only works if you have enough memory, the setup takes about 20 MB
of RAM.

       1.First find the config subdirectory under your X:\Office50 and expand it. You will find
two subdirectories named start and startup.
       2.Drag and drop a copy of your favorite apps(*.URL files), but not presentations (it
hangs) from start to statup. I put spreadsheet app, Starwriter and the draw program in the
startup directory.
       3.Doubleclick on Staroffice icon. The desktop will come up first followed by a slight
delay, then the apps you put in the startup will be loaded.

    From this point on in a session all the apps will be memory cached and STAY that
way until you turn off the computer, even if you close them out with X button, or you can
minimize to the task bar at the bottom
    of the desktop. As a bonus, some of the other apps, EX. HTML writer and presentions
will also launch instantly.

    After everything is behaving properly, you can at last put a shadow of the
Staroffice.exe icon in your OS/2 startup folder and the next time you start your computer
all that will be loaded up automatically.

    To be sure, it takes a lot longer to boot up OS/2 this way but you can go get a cup of
coffee during boot up knowing when it is finally finished you have some serious code in
memory waiting for your use. I have
    been using Staroffice in memory for several months and it is very well behaved. I can
crash Netscape any way I choose and it never brings Staroffice down with it.

Lech Wiktor Piotrowski
TeamOS/2 Poland Webmaster
http://www.teamos2.org.pl
OS / 2 = Win ^ 98 <=> Win > 1