[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains] Mini-review of the first new domain names

Autor: Marcin Klimowski (marcin_at_usk.pk.edu.pl)
Data: Mon 17 Feb 1997 - 12:20:59 MET

attached mail follows:

In its final report to IANA/ISOC, the IAHC proposed the following
as the first few domains to create, with the intention of making them
available this year, and adding other later.

 .firm for businesses, or firms
 .store for businesses offering goods to purchase
 .web for entities emphasizing activities related to the WWW
 .arts for entities emphasizing recreation/entertainment activities
 .rec for entities emphasizing recreation/entertainment activities
 .info for entities providing information services
 .nom for those wishing individual or personal nomenclature
(see http://www.iahc.org/draft-iahc-recommend-00.html for details)

  These may be broken down into two distinct groups:
        1) new categories to add in parallell to edu/org/com
                (arts, rec, nom)
        2) compeditors to or subcategories of com
                (firm, store, info, web)

  Arts and rec are very straightforward: they provide a ``better place''
to look for non-commercial entities than org, and do seem to make it
possible for commercial entities to register there if it makes sense.

  Nom is a challenge to the community: how do we manage a very large
namespace, with lots of private leaf nodes (eg, david) hanging off
of shared internal nodes (collier-brown). This is another chance
to get a domain like us delegated in a sane manner...

  The compeditors to .com are very interesting... I see very little
difference between .com and .firm (or .tm.int, the proposed
international trademark domain).
  It will be interesting to see what happens: I have proposed what
I claim a significant part of the business community would do
in a previous submission to the IAHC (Forms of Top-Level Domain Names:
An Appreciation, http://www.iahc.org/contrib/draft-iahc-cb-forms-01.txt)
and will be very interested to see how good my prediction was (:-))

  The subcategories are just usefull: if I want a store that will
take my order anywhere in the world, .store is probably a good place to
look. And if I want to find information services (eg, search servers,
archives), .info (or .info.com) is plausable.

  Web is another challenge, but in this case to the Alternic and the
prospective registrars (iodesign.com, notably). The alternic set
up to compete with NSI some months ago, following proposals initially
made by IANA, but which have been withdrawn subsequently in favor of
the IAHC process and proposal.
  Alternic helped set up acessability of .web, which is running with
some hundreds of registrants. Subsequently, name.space started a
competing .web domain, with different (!) customers.
  Finally, IAHC proposes to start a shared .web domain.

  This last is sure to cause discussion (:-))

  I confess I proposed we ``do the experiment'' of trying both
competing domains and categorization domains some months ago.
When I get a moment, I'll try to properly ``appreciate'' the current
state. In the meantime, let me merely speculate that the results of
the IAHC process will be interesting.

--dave (may you live in interesting times:
        an ancient chineese curse) c-b

Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb_at_hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
N2M 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb