Re: A propos HTMLu

Autor: Milosz Stasik (stas9593_at_uidaho.edu)
Data: Fri 02 Feb 1996 - 07:16:28 MET

Grzesiek Staniak <gstaniak_at_golem.umcs.lublin.pl> wrote:

[...]
duzo i madrze :) - wyciete

> Grzesiek Staniak
> <gstaniak_at_golem.umcs.lublin.pl>[...]

dla uzupelnienia dyskusji oto drobiazg ' a propos', ktory dostalem
rownoczesnie z listem Grzeska

----------------------
                           /\
Milosz /\ / \ /\
Stasik / \/\/ / \
             / \\ / \
-----------/ \ / \
stas9593_at_uidaho.edu \
URL=http://www.uidaho.edu/~stas9593/ \
--------------------------------------

attached mail follows:

I am very pleased to be able to tell you that the text of the
proposed ISO/IEC International Standard for HTML is now available to
IETF members at URL: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/MarkUp/

Some notes on this text:

* The key chapter is Clause 6. Most of the remainder is traditional
ISO throat clearing and diplomatic arm waving.

* I have removed from what I found myself calling the "core HTML" all
items that have been deprecated. I took the position that if the IETF
deprecate something, JTC1 should not call for it.

* This draft was written in terms of the 05 version of the "Tables"
specification. I have already removed all references to style from
the next version of the draft.

* I shall update this text from time to time to take account of your
technical comments in <html-wg_at_w3.org>, and the progression of work in
the IETF HTML WG -- remember that the technical responsibility for the
content lies with the IETF.

* I have not made reference to the modular DTD work. I hope to do so
when this work has progressed to a point where the "core HTML" can be
picked out easily.

* I resisted the temptation to remove the allowed tag omission for the
html, head and body elements. I would very much like to see an end to
the omission of such tags, but, as I said, this is an IETF matter.

* The layout of the PostScript version is not too good, but that's not
important. Its my home brew production system. My only claim is that
its easier to read for non-SGMLists than the source SGML markup.

* I would like to add to the bibliography references to the two books
on HTML written by members of the HTML WG. I hunted for the
references in the archives but had no luck. Any pointer would be much
appreciated, particularly in bibTeX form.

Roger

Roger Price Dept of Computer Science, Centre d'Etudes et Recherches
             Umass Lowell, IBM-France
             Lowell MA 01854 USA 06610 La Gaude France
             rprice_at_cs.uml.edu