WWW via email

Autor: Gregorio Kus (Grego_at_RMnet.IT)
Data: Tue 26 Sep 1995 - 16:39:08 MET

Wydaje mi sie, ze ponizsze jest dosc uzyteczne, a nie wszyscy o tym
wiedza:

------------------ BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE -----------------

FASTER THAN SURFING...THE WWW VIA E-MAIL

When you want WWW information, you now have the
option to skip the surfing step. If you know which Web
site you'd like to research, you can now use e-mail to
fetch your documentation. Just fire up your e-mail
application and issue the "go" command to retrieve any
of millions of pages from the WWW. Here's how . . . .

Send your e-mail to webmail_at_www.ucc.ie. In the body
of your message type "go" followed by the URL from
which you wish to retrieve information. For example,
"go http://www.Four11.com/" will bring back page one
of SLED Corporation's site, in part, "Four11 is the
Internet's largest White Page Directory with over 1.2
Million listings and 150,000 registered users. Free
Listing... ."

OBT typed a reference in the "subject" field of our e-
mail and received returns as a "reply." Placing a
reference in the "subject" field will make identification
easier if you mail out multiple WWW retrieve
messages.

Further testing this new engine, OBT sent e-mail to
webmail_at_www.ucc.ie and wrote "go
http://primenet.com/~swiggy/" in the body of our
message. Not only did The Church of Spam return its
first page, but included was an attachment document
which we viewed in our browser as an html document.

We saw Church of Spam exactly as if we had surfed to
the site. We saw click options including (1) Read the
Ten Spamandments!; (2) Enjoy the Hymns and Prayers
of the Church of SPAM, and; (3) Some personal
information about the Good Paster SWIGGY.

OBT easily and very quickly was returned WWW
information from other URL's including Page O' Spam
"go http://www.rsi.com/spam/", The Online Knitting
Magazine "go http://www.io.org/~spamily/knit/" and
Linda's Indonesian Recipes "go
http:www.best/~spam/linda_recipes.html".

We also used this service to visit "The List." OBT was
able to determine a complete list of Internet Service
Providers (ISPs) by area code. For example, in the body
of the message we wrote "go http://www.thelist/305.html"
and received back a complete list of ISPs for area code
305 here in South Florida. Simply vary the three digit number
and include any area code you wish. The List will e-mail
back the listings for your region.

This free fetching service is another fine example of
how Internet business entrepreneurs are offering free
services to attract potential customers. In this case,
your e-mail returns will post a bit of advertising which
in part reads, "For details of how to write your own
Web files, see "The WorldWideWeb Handbook ...
details are on the Web at
http://www.ucc.ie/~pflynn/books/wwwbook.html."
So, next time you read about a "HOT" new WWW site,
let your e-mail do the walking. Try webmail_at_www.ucc.ie
as the quick and easy e-mail way to surf the WWW.

Grego

Gregorio Kus Grego_at_RMnet.it G.Kus_at_agora.stm.it