Re: Emulator karty sieciowej

Autor: Zbigniew Zych (zych_at_use.address.from.sig.onet.pl)
Data: Thu 26 Mar 1998 - 16:29:52 MET

In pl.comp.networking Dominik Jakub Dobruchowski <dobrysys_at_onet.pl> wrote:
> Czy może spotkaliście się z programem, który by potrafił zaemulować
> kartę sieciową przez _port równoległy_? Szukam także programu
> pozwalającego podejrzeć/zapisać to co przechodzi przez port równoległy w
> obie strony.

CONFIG_PLIP
  PLIP (Parallel Line Internet Protocol) is used to create a mini
  network consisting of two (or, rarely, more) local machines. The
  parallel ports (the connectors at the computers with 25 holes) are
  connected using "null printer" or "Turbo Laplink" cables which can
  transmit 4 bits at a time or using special PLIP cables, to be used
  on bidirectional parallel ports only, which can transmit 8 bits at a
  time (you can find the wiring of these cables in
  drivers/net/README?.plip). The cables can be up to 15m long. This
  works also if one of the machines runs DOS/Windows and has some PLIP
  software installed, e.g. the Crynwr PLIP packet driver
  (http://sunsite.cnam.fr/packages/Telnet/PC/msdos/misc/pktdrvr.txt)
  and winsock or NCSA's telnet. If you want to use this, say Y and
  read the PLIP mini-HOWTO, available via ftp (user: anonymous) in
  sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini as well as the
  NET-2-HOWTO in sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO. Note that the
  PLIP protocol was changed and this PLIP driver won't work together
  with the PLIP support in Linux versions 1.0.x. This option enlarges
  your kernel by about 8kB. If you want to compile this as a module (
  = code which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel
  whenever you want), say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt as
  well as Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt. If you want to use
  both a parallel printer and PLIP, there are two cases: 1) If the
  printer and the PLIP cable are to use the same parallel port
  (presumably because you have just one), it is best to compile both
  drivers as modules and load and unload them as needed. 2) To use
  different parallel ports for the printer and the PLIP cable, you can
  say Y to the printer driver, specify the base address of the
  parallel port(s) to use for the printer(s) with the "lp" kernel
  command line option. (See the documentation of your boot loader
  (lilo or loadlin) about how to pass options to the kernel at boot
  time. The lilo procedure is also explained in the SCSI-HOWTO,
  available via ftp (user: anonymous) in
  sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.) The standard base addresses
  as well as the syntax of the "lp" command line option can be found
  in drivers/char/lp.c. You can then say Y to this PLIP driver or,
  preferably, M in which case Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt
  tells you how to specify the port and IRQ to be used by PLIP at
  module load time.
  It's safe to say N here.

drivers/net/README2.PLIP:

(2nd attempt. 1st bounced.)
Hi again

About my previous mail: I've looked into parallel.asm, and I'm
rather confused. Looks like the code agrees with you, but not
the protocol description preceding it?? I got to look more
careful, but it wont be for a while (approx a week).

>From plip.c (v0.04):

>make one yourself. The wiring is:
> INIT 16 - 16 SLCTIN 17 - 17
> GROUND 25 - 25
> D0->ERROR 2 - 15 15 - 2

I saw you removed 1 and 14 from the cable description, but not
16 and 17. Why is that?

Have been successful in getting parallel.com working (the Messy-Loss
software). Using the pksend on the sender and pkall/pkwatch/whatnot
gives me a hung receiver. (The cable works, I've tried unet11, a DOS
cheap-net prog.)

Itd... itd....

--
Zbigniew Zych             http://onet.pl/~zych/    mailto:zych-AT-onet.pl