Re: Riva128 i 3Dfx albo fantazje na temat RIVY.

Autor: Marek Guevara Braun (marek_at_atm.com.pl)
Data: Sat 14 Mar 1998 - 14:56:23 MET

Jacek Mietliński wrote:

> U mnie, niestety, tez, co i tak nie znaczy, ze zaraz polece na gielde i
> kupie VooDoo2.
> Poczekam na wersja AGP Rivy 128 ZX z 16 MB ramu i pogadamy z
> wiatraczkowcami...

Przy wyborze karty "na przyszlosc" polecam zapoznanie sie z opinia
jednego z tworcow bardzo popularnych gier FPP na temat przewidywanej
wydajnosci kart graficznych dla ich najnowszego dziela.

Wczoraj John Carmack z id Software oglosil plany wypuszczenia,
znacznie wczesniej niz uprzednio zapowiadana Trinity, gry Quake III.
Q3 ma byz zdecydowanie bardziej wymagajacy co do wydajnosci kart 3D.

Pozdrawiam,

Marek aka Killian

PS. Tez jestem wiatraczkowcem - z tym ze nie uzywam dodatkowego
wiatraczka do chlodzenia ukladow 3Dfx Voodoo, a do oziebienia
kostki Rockwell w moim modemie - diabelnie sie nagrzewa :)

%%%%% John Carmack na temat wydajnosci kart 3D w Quake III %%%%%

 Here are my current GUESSES about how existing cards will perform
 [Quake III].

 Voodoo 1
 Performance will be a little slow, but it should look good and run
 acceptably.You will have to use somewhat condensed textures to avoid
 texture thrashing.

 Voodoo 2
 Should run great. Getting the 12 mb board is probably a good idea
 if you want to use the high resolution textures. The main rendering
 mode won't be able to take advantage of the dual TMU the same way
 quake 2 does, so the extra TMU will be used for slightly higher
 quality rendering modes instead of greater speed: trilinear / detail
 texturing, or some full color effects where others get a mono channel.

 Permedia 2
 Will be completely fill rate bound, so it will basically run 2/3 the
 speed that quake 2 does. Not very fast. It also doesn't have one of the
 needed blending modes, so it won't look very good, either. P2 does
 support 24 bit rendering, but it won't be fast enough to use it.

 ATI Rage Pro
 It looks like the rage pro has all the required blending modes, but the
 jury is still out on the performance.

 Intel I740
 Should run good with all features, and because all of the textures come
 out of AGP memory, there will be no texture thrashing at all, even with
 the full resolution textures.

 Rendition 2100/2200
 The 2100 should run about the speed of a voodoo 1, and the 2200 should
 be faster. They support all the necessary features, and an 8 mb 2200
 should be able to use the high res textures without a problem. The
 renditions are the only current boards that can do 24 bit rendering
 with all the features. It will be a bit slow in 24 bit mode, but it
 will look the best.

 PVR PCX2
 Probably won't run Quake 3. They don't have ANY of the necessary
 blending modes, so it can't look correct. Video Logic might decide to
 rev their minidriver to try to support it, but it is probably futile.

 RIVA 128
 Riva puts us in a bad position. They are very fast, but they don't
 support an important feature. We can crutch it up by performing some
 extra drawing passes, but there is a bit of a quality loss, and it will
 impact their speed. They will probably be a bit faster than voodoo 1,
 but not to the degree that they are in Quake 2.

 Naturally, the best cards are yet to come (I won't comment on
 unreleased cards). The graphics engine is being designed to be
 scalable over the next few YEARS, so it might look like we are
 shooting a bit high for the first release, but by the time it
 actually ships, there will be a lot of people with brand new
 accelerators that won't be properly exploited by any other
 game.