Re: Ktore intele sie wieszaja ?

Autor: Slawomir Marczynski (slawek_at_arcadia.tuniv.szczecin.pl)
Data: Wed 12 Nov 1997 - 12:52:45 MET

Grzegorz Szyszlo (znik_at_avalon.wbc.lublin.pl) wrote:

: Czy ktos moze mi udzielic informacji ktore procesory sie wieszaja
: a ktore nie ?

Zajrzalem na http://www.intel.com, tamze mozna znalezc ponizszy tekst,
ktory "wszystko" wyjasnia. Nota bene - wyglada na to, ze cala afera jest
stosunkowo niedawna (11/7/97 to chyba 7 listopada br., a nie 11 lipca).

Cyt.:

   On Friday afternoon (11/7/97) we discovered a number of postings in
   newsgroups talking about a potential processor "bug." This describes
   the assessment of the issue reported on those postings.

   The issue occurs only when an illegal instruction sequence is issued.
   Such a sequence is not purposefully generated in the course of
   programming nor is such a sequence generated by commercial software.

   The execution of that reported instruction sequence causes systems
   with PentiumŽ processors and PentiumŽ processor with MMX™
   technology to hang instead of terminating the application. This hang
   condition is observed on multiple operating systems (DOS*, Windows*
   95, Windows* NT, and Linux*) when used with this instruction sequence.
   Intel has reproduced the behavior.

   It is important to note that this erratum will only occur when someone
   has intentionally created this invalid instruction because they want
   to crash the system.

   We have confirmed the existence of an erratum and are in the process
   of evaluating workarounds.

   Key Points:
     * An Internet posting Friday made us aware of a potential erratum.
     * Working all weekend we have confirmed a new erratum on the
       PentiumŽ processor and PentiumŽ processor with MMX™ and have
       been aggressively pursuing this issue in a very accelerated
       manner. This erratum does not affect the PentiumŽ Pro processor or
       the PentiumŽ II Processor.
     * The errata only occurs when the processor receives a specific
       invalid instruction.
     * This invalid instruction is not in commercial software and would
       have to be intentionally created.
     * The result of executing the invalid instruction is that the system
       could hang.
     * If this occurs, the system will immediately hang and all the user
       has to do is reboot the system and they are back in normal
       operation.
     * All processors have errata.
     * Consistent with our process for errata we have begun to work
       closely with hardware and software companies to define and deliver
       the best workaround for this issue on an accelerated timeline. We
       expect to have an update on the status of the workarounds within
       the next week.

   Spokespeople

   Trade press calls to Manny Vara @ 408-765-6829, analyst calls to Bill
   Miller @ 408-765-3920, business press calls to Tom Waldrop @
   408-765-8478 or Chuck Mulloy @ 408-765-3484

   * These trademarks are property of their respective owners.

--
Slawomir Marczynski (Mr)
Institute of Physics, Technical University of Szczecin