Jeszcze o wNT i prasie komputerowej

Autor: Gregorio Kus (Grego_at_RMnet.it)
Data: Wed 26 Mar 1997 - 14:56:30 MET

Everything that I have seen with NT lately, is that only the foolish go
with anything critical on NT 4.0. One of my clients is the local
(Lubbock,TX) Cox Cable office. They have 100PC's with a T1 to corporate
in Atlanta. Up until last week they were running DOS/Win311 on a Novell
3.12 network. Someone at corporate decided to invest *heavily* in
Microsoft. They bought the corporate MOLP liscensing of every MS product.
 Including NT. At least they have some fairly intelligent IS guys in
atlanta. They spent 4 months working with NT 4.0 server trying to get it
to work in a stable fashion, and failed, even with a Microsoft tech that
came onsite! They ended up backing down to 3.51 on the servers. The
Servers are HP Netservers with 448MB RAM, 20Gig RAID arrays and Dual P166
CPUs. There are 2 of these boxes at each branch location. They also did
a mass conversion to win95 on all the workstations. I (and the local IS
Manager) was saddened to see this route taken, but when corporate says
jump...
I thought that the servers were a bit overkill, but the coporate IS guy
said that this was the only way to get good performance with NT in a large
network environment. Part of the problem seems to be the domain system
that NT uses.

Anyway, just another example of a non-press covered change of plans. The
initial announcement of Cox moving to NT4 was in many papers. But nothing
about the problems encountered or the change down to 3.51.

--
Gregorio Kus         Grego_at_RMnet.it           Grego_at_cyberspace.org