Fwd: Re: Microsoft vs US

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Tue 03 Nov 1998 - 13:29:47 MET

Warto sięgnąć po słownik, dla tego jednego fragmentu.
Warpman

You should read Barksdale's. Starting at about page 80 it really gets
good.

"166. The OEM incident that most unsettled me involved Compaq. We
    had had a very good working relationship with Compaq. In fact,
    one of Compaq's Vice Presidents, Ronnie Ward, spoke in very
    complimentary terms about Netscape, the Internet, an dJava at one
    of our developers' conferences. (Interestingly, Mr. Ward later
    told one of our salespeople that because he had referred to Java
    during his presentation as "letting the world out of jail,"
    Microsoft had questioned his and Compaq's loyalty to Microsoft
    and this had upset certain senior managers at Compaq.) In ad-
    dition, Compaq had agreed to distribute the Netscape navigato
    on its poplular Presario line, and Compaq personnel were en-
    thusiastic about putting an icon for the Netscape Navigator on
    the Presario desktop. At one meeting, a group from Compaq showed
    some of our employees a preliminary build of the Presario pro-
    duct, happily pointing out the icon for the Netscape Navigator
    was on the desktop. However, when the final build of the
    Presario product shipped in 1995, we found to our amazement and
    dismay that the icon for the Netscape Navigator was not on the
    desktop. We learned from a Compaq product manager that Microsoft
    had not wanted Compaq to put the Navigator icon on the desktop,
    even alonside the Internet Explorer icon. We also learned that
    that Microsoft had threatened to terminate Compaq's Windows
    license. This would hav put Compaq -- the largest PC OEM in
    the world -- out of business. This demonstrates Microsoft's un-
    precedented power. The effect of this pressure from Microsoft
    was to destroy the value of our contract with Compaq."

It goes on and on and on and on.

Curtis

In <199811022301.RAA23807_at_smtp1.mailsrvcs.net>, on 11/03/98
   at 12:04 AM, Jason R Stefanovich <stefanj_at_GTE.NET> said:

>I sure am looking forward to seeing BillyG's testimony on the DOJ's
>web site. Reports say that his testimony was "evasive".

>Jason R Stefanovich
>Sr. Database Analyst
>MIS Mgr.
>U. S. Army

curtis_at_maurand.com
Przemysław Pawełczyk (Warpman)    Freelance journalist
Os. Centrum B 1/89                   Phone +48 12 642-13-00
31-927 Kraków                 mailto:warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl
Poland                             http://friko5.onet.pl/kr/warpman/