Fwd: Aurora first impressions

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Tue 03 Nov 1998 - 13:02:07 MET

So far so good.
Warpman

I've just finished a base Aurora install and have found it a very
impressive
product. Flames to IBM if you didn't get a copy... Anyway, I figured
there'd
be others out there interested in my notes from the install process.

I found a major restriction to the install process. For it to complete
successfully, the install drive must be set to C:. It will merrily
install to
a different drive letter and then fail on the reboot. Fortunately, the
very
excellent LVMDISK allows you to remap these letters painlessly. Aurora
is on
C:, Warp 4 (when booted to Aurora) is now M: and the JFS partition is
J:.

I was quite impressed by the install program - it feels better
integrated
than Warp 4 and is light-years ahead of Warp 3. Either I've got a
really
Aurora-friendly system or Bobo the clown could install this...

It plug-and-play detected EVERYTHING perfectly! SB AWE-32 PnP, 3Com
NIC, RAID
adapter, Matrox Millenium II (even shipped with the GRADD drivers
capable of
1280x1024 @ 75Hz), you name it, it was detected w/o my intervention
(This was
*NOT* the case w/Warp 4). I literally had only to select my components
and
enter the TCP/IP settings. I spent the rest of the install reading and
that
didn't even take that long - it seemed noticeably faster than Warp4's
install. This is going to make any NT installs at work (on faster
hardware, I
might add) seem *REALLY* painfully slow and error-prone...

While it's being marketed as a server, it's got all the workstation
stuff
included. OpenGL, games, etc.

There's a ton of multinational font support and IBM appears to have
gone
Unicode. JFS uses it, the fonts are Unicode and they shipped Japanese,
Chinese, Arabic, Greek and so forth with my English copy. Codepage
selection
also seems improved. All of my program objects have a new Language tab
that
allows you to select things like codepages.

Java is no longer an option. You get the VDM in any case but the
development
tools are still optional. On the plus side, it seems very fast (Caveat:
*am* using two P133s now) and things like the graphical disk
administrator
don't seem noticeably slower than native code. Given my older system
runs
this well, I doubt anyone better equipped will have problems.

I haven't done any major stability tests but I haven't had *any*
problems at
all since I figured out the drive C: problem...

Przemysław Pawełczyk (Warpman)    Freelance journalist
Os. Centrum B 1/89                   Phone +48 12 642-13-00
31-927 Kraków                 mailto:warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl
Poland                             http://friko5.onet.pl/kr/warpman/