Fwd: TR vs. Ethernet, redux

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Mon 19 Oct 1998 - 13:23:45 MET DST

Hi,

Pora na WSoD, aby dotarł do ludzi. Mówcie o nim innym.
Więcej info na stronach rodzinnych Warpa w IBM.

Warpman

I came across this today, and thought about the recent debate.
http://www.madge.com/product/notfast.htm

I believe, related to this topic, someone wondered about WSoD and
ethernet. NationsBank has bootstorm tested
WSoD with 64 clients. The network was 100BaseT cards on the server,
and 10BaseT cards on the clients. Each machine was on a
dedicated Ethernet switch port running full duplex. 5 minutes for all
systems to be up and operational.
I don't know about any TR test results.

I was also asked how my new job was going. Good. I'm not doing too
much that uses my current set of skills, I'm mostly working with
mainframe
tasks. But I do use some Netfinity, Netview and DCAF. All software
packages, once they're tested and put together are uploaded a host
system,
and from there sent out at night to the bank branches. Then we come
in at night or weekend and run the installs. And then clean up any
disasters we've
created. :-)

I was dismayed to find 95 on all the desktops (it's the bank branches
that are using WSoD), but my boss said it was fine with him if I
wanted to use OS/2,
as long as I didn't screw up the WAN Change Control folks. These are
the people who support the LAN/WAN, and update the workstations. So I
installed bootmanager
and will boot to 95 every now and then to keep Change Control happy.
:-)

I find it interesting that a Bank that is spending heavily on Y2k
compliance is saying that the desktop standard for '99 is WinNT. MS
has really snookered people.
But I guess we all knew that anyway.
Cheers.

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

Przemysław Pawełczyk (Warpman)    Freelance journalist
Os. Centrum B 1/89                   Phone +48 12 642-13-00
31-927 Kraków                 mailto:warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl
Poland                             http://friko5.onet.pl/kr/warpman/