Fwd: Re: Superdrives

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Sat 18 Jul 1998 - 14:37:59 MET DST

On 15 Jul 98 at 12:30, Tom Rowe wrote:

>Is anyone using one of the Imation or Sony 120mb superdrives with OS/2? If
>so, did you have to do anything special, and is it working ok as a
>substitute for a 1.5" drive? Thanks.

As it happens, I've just managed to install Warp 4 from scratch on my
new
PC at work with an LS-120 as the A: drive.

First, I downloaded IDEDASD.EXE from IBM. I then updated a copy
of Diskette 1 with the updated files, adding the lines

BASEDEV=IBMATAPI.FLT (this driver wasn't previously there)
SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1 (needed so INSTALL will copy the updated drivers)

to the CONFIG.SYS. Because of the size of the updated files I had to
delete IBM2ADSK.ADD and IBM2SCSI.ADD from the diskette and REM out the
references in CONFIG.SYS, as per the recommendation in the README.INS
on
the diskette.

This allowed the text-mode install phase to begin. However the install
gave up just after asking for Diskette 1 complaining that it couldn't
find IBM2ADSK.ADD, despite REMming it out of CONFIG.SYS. I eventually
worked around this by recreating short dummy versions of the two files
had deleted on the diskette. This allowed the install to run to
completion.

OS/2 seems happy so far with the LS-120, though I haven't tried a 120MB
cartridge, only standard floppies; the drive does seem quicker than a
regular floppy drive though.

Now, if I can only get Linux on as well... ;-) (Linux has IDE floppy
support now, but it doesn't like my drive for some reason.)

Hope this helps.

--
Jon Hall                                  | Tel:    +44/0 1703 592121
Senior Programmer / Computer Officer      | Fax:    +44/0 1703 593190