GalCiv Gold is COMPLETE!!!

Autor: Brad Wardell (bwardell_at_stardock.net)
Data: Wed 08 Apr 1998 - 12:25:49 MET DST

Barring a few minor bug fixes while we do last minute testing, we expect Galactic Civilizations GOLD to go to
manufacturing today.

If you are receiving this email, it means you have expressed an interest in obtaining Galactic Civilizations GOLD.

It's turned out pretty well and has a lot more changes and features than we had originally planned on doing. In fact,
there is more new code in GalCiv gold than there was between GalCiv 1 and GalCiv 2.

Visit http://www.stardock.com and click on the GalCiv gold page to see all the new screen shots which show off a lot of
the new features and graphics.

Right now you can get GalCiv Gold for the following prices:

If you have Galactic Civilizations II: Expansion Pack
you can upgrade for $24.95

If you have Galactic Civilizatiosn II
you can upgrade for $34.95

Otherwise it's $49.95.

BUT after its release, the upgrade pricing will be going up so if you want GalCiv gold, now is the time to order it. Our
website is secure so you'll need to use Netscape or some other secure web browser.

You can order by going to our website also: http://www.stardock.com.

Here is a list of changes in GalCiv Gold and a history from GalCiv 2.

History

GalCiv 2.95 (Galactic Civilizations GOLD)
> Enormous Galaxy size - 36 x 36 universe! (incredible)
> Addressed mini map repainting speed so it doesn't repaint as often
> Added Deep Space Colony Ship (much more expensive but long range)
+ New player: Rebels (player 8)
> Added 13 new technologies
+ Added "The Outsiders" alien race
> Ominorians only allowed in games with greater than 36 quadrants.
+ Added ability for star ships to be refitted if they get a new armor technology.
+ "Outsiders" star fleet created
> Rebels have a decent AI personality behind them.
> Fixed human bug where human player got a 25% resource advantage
+ Added advanced armor advances
> Fixed the Center dialog function so that dialogs try to stay off the mini map.
+ Added the ability to give ships and money to any known friendly player any time.
> Fixed AI so that it researches more effectively
> Re-did the CalcRange functions so that it's a lot faster.
+ Added WorldCivilization Game Module
+ Created 40+ techs for World Civilization
+ Created dozen or so new units for World Civilization
+ Created dozen or so new city improvements for World Civilization
> Changed it so that it now diplays the map as "sectors" instead of quadrants
> Modified the AI to not keep around so many colony ships
> Made it so that the advanced techs are a LOT more expensive so that you can't finish all the techs easily.
> Fixed it so that it diplays "%" on percentage values.
+ Added a new event
+ Added ability to have Shipyards available when you load the game.
> Rewrote how ranges are calculated to be faster
> Moved code into the background thread so that in long games the pause between turns is shorter.
> Changed AI philosophy of building transports based on the number of enemies to building them
  based on how many planets you have so that you don't end up having too many transports.
> Changed AI so that it will not target ships faster than the ship they are currently
  creating orders for unless it's a transport.
+ Numerous cosmetic improvements
+ For the land module, a new dialog was created that gives details on the colonization
  quality of a region
+ Integrated Shipyards into the base game. It is not on by default.
+ Added Caravans to WorldCiv
+ Battle Module now takes technology into account when doing orbital attacks
+ Ton of work done on Torian AI module.
+ Considerable work on Empire and Drengin AI module
> Fixed bug in Drengin and Torian AI where ships would stay on assignment forever
> Fixed bug where it was targeting wrong star system to attack on Drengin and Torian
> Fixed AI issue of over buiding wimpy ships at the beginning and then not
  attacking
+ Empire AI module now builds its military might relative to others (it's the
  only one which does this)
> Thanks to Timur Tabi, changed star map redrawing code to be faster.
+ Added a new Altarian star symbol
+ Created new graphics for the bridges (which take damage as the ship takes damage)
+ New graphic for the left icon bar.

GalCiv 2.9 (Expansion Pack)
> Changed "auto pilot cheat" so that players can't go beyond their range by
   stacking with ships with low ranges and high ranges.
> "Exploding Economy" problem fixed.
> Signed SHORT replaced by LONG for incomes >$32,000
> Population ceiling raised to near infinite (whas ~8 million per planet).
> Population growth more in tune to the features of the planet, less with approval rating.
> People get unhappier with higher taxes (more so now)
> Pollution makes people even unhappier.
> Population now affects morale by 20% more.
> Poor worlds now very difficult to keep people happy.
 + Ominorians added (optional feature)
 + Ominorian text written by David H. McCoy (Thanks!)
 + Ominorian star ship fleet created
 + Military Governor created, you can now switch all your ship projects
   from one to another. (Very cool)
 + About a dozen new technologies added.
 + Several new ships added that balance the game towards tough and fast as well as powerful
   instead of just powerful. (previously, Avatars were the way to go, now there are more
   choices).
 + New "Odin" class ship added that can see all ships in a quadrant.
 + Smart Auto Pilot added. Now fleets will move at the same speed
   (set to the slowest ship in the fleet).
 + Threading improved to make it easy for people to give orders
   to ships even during the time the computer is moving.
 + Performance improved.
 + Torian AI Personality re-written.
 + Altarian AI Personality re-written.
 + Empire AI Personality heavily modified.
 + Quadrants now have their own unique backgrounds.
> Improved repaint speed (which no one will probably notice)
> Ship Ranges restricted. Now harder to get across the galaxy.
> AI now puts more focus on social development.
 + New Events added.
> Darth Vader complex removed. Once you are really "evil" or
   really "good" you can't turn back.
> Technologies reorganized to make more sense. Now need artificial
   gravity to really get anywhere.

GalCiv 2.5
> Changed Technologies so that Super Projects/Achievements don't become obsolete
> Hall of game bug fixed
> You can no longer select unused planets
 + You can now load up transports from outside a star system by having the transport
   fly into a star system (bringing up the star dialog) and choosing "Reload".
   Suggested by Bill Hardy.
> More planet names added to list
 + Aliens much more aggressive at trading technologies
> Altarians don't get stuck on researching old tech
> Annoying Planet and improvement updates do not popup after you've won the game.
 + Changed the fonts away from scalable to bitmap fonts so that they don't look awful
   under Merlin (way to go IBM on breaking the font engine...)
 + Altarians will get rid of old unwanted ships
 + Altarians won't build tons of useless ships

GalCiv 2.14b
> Added updated Techs.txt that was corrected by usres on Stardock's CFORUM! Thanks guys!
> Data.bin fixed with new values and corrected errors with certain technologies not popping up.

GalCiv 2.14
> REALLY fixed the DeathKnight problem with Shipyards
> Fixed Tax dialog to reflect integer values instead of short.
 + SDS/AI updated to 2.14 (this is what fixes the Deathknight problem
   and AI personality #3 made smarter -- Torians).
 + Starship.DLL can now be placed locally and it will use that. If you
   are creating custom scenarios, this is obviously useful.
 + You can now specify how many good planets there are upon starting a new game.
 + When you give ships to another player, they automatically leave orbit.
> Lot's of little things fixed that no one will probably notice..

GalCiv 2.12a
> Fixed Shipyards problem where taking over a pirate planet will give
   you all the technologies of the universe.

> Moving fleets works correctly (bug added in 2.12).

GalCiv 2.12
 + Added ability to read in .SDS files which can modify ships and techs
   values.
 + Added ability to use alternative aliens.dll if in directory.
> Made Fleet movement easier by having all stacked ships move right
   away
> "Go Home" now works properly
> Music from CD interfering with loading graphics when Event comes up
   eliminated.
> Made great planets MUCH less likely to exist.

GalCiv 2.11
 + Added HALL of FAME
> Fixed some Enhanced Governor issues.

GalCiv 2.1
 + Added Enhanced Governors
> Fixed lots of issues that annoyed users.

GalCiv 2.01
 + Made it playable from the hard drive.