Re: Abuse of mail.rmf.pl SMTP service

Autor: Łukasz Grochal (lgrochal_at_rotfl.pl.eu.org)
Data: Tue 22 Jun 1999 - 18:24:54 MET DST

Dear Sir/Madam

As to Your quite short and very helpful reply saying:

> Visit http://www.orbs.org/

Yes, I (as responsible for our mail servers) have read your web pages
thoroughly. Still, I see absolutely _no_ reason in scanning our SMTP
service or trying to send any unsolicited e-mail through it. I still
consider it an abuse attempt. Your declarations, that you fight spam
have nothing to do with it. You also declare, that you do test only
sites that are reported to send spam. Positively _no_ spam originated
from mail.rmf.pl. This brings me to a conclusion that either you go
beyond your own rules and limitations in the work you do, or all your
job is only a cover for gathering information about open relays that
can, and as practice shows _are_ often uses to send spam. As I
consider both those possibilities dangerous for internet community at
its whole and my own mail service in particular, I have decided to
continue warning other administrators about what you do. Strangely
enough, an administrator responded who has also been scanned by your
hosts even though his SMTP services were well secured and not open to
abuse. That makes me even more convinced, that something is going
wrong in this story.

I have decided _not_ to send mail and firewall logs to maps.vix.com at
this stage. I'm looking forward to hearing some sort of explanation
from you. Ie. either a report showing that my mail service
(mail.rmf.pl, 195.116.240.150) _has been_ abused in past several
months or an explanation saying on what ground you do perform your
scans.

This message, as well as previous one, is being crossposted to
news:pl.comp.mail.mta and news:pl.internet.polip

Sincirely Yours,

--
(-) Łukasz Grochal