Pigeon Polish/Eng.

Autor: Benjamin Chapski,Ph.D (chapski_at_earthlink.net)
Data: Sun 16 Feb 1997 - 14:30:35 MET

Pan Bekker wrote (in scp)

-uwaga, Pani Aniko, "artykolow" pisze sie przez "u" -
"artykulow".

Perhaps Jacob should comprehend that many of us here
on scp/pl. ls. dzien. have been products of America,
Canada, So. America and various other countries. When
I was a youngster, teaching the English language at a
college here, I made it my business to check the
spelling of each and every one of my students. In
fact, I was more than concerned because, as a high
school student, I labored after school checking -and
rechecking- the articles of our journalists while I
earned suitable amounts of $$$ from our city's
newspaper.

There was one thing I was always aware of. If an
individual is a 3rd/4th generation ethnic-American
there is no way he/she can communicate in the Pol.
language without making mistakes. Of course, there is
the hypothesis that searching in one's dictionary
and/or spending time "proofreading" can eradicate much
of the problem.

However, time and language structure alter, and unless
one has contact with those functioning in the mother
language --here, we're speaking of the difficult
language of Polish and not some easy language such as
french or spanish-- it would be absurd to attempt to
be an "equal" with the eductioned native Polish
"intellectual."

A perfect example, would be the reiterations made -not
long ago- about my utilization of specific New England
slang; mainly, the words "the meat of the matter." A
psychotic response, by an individual unable to compose
scholarly dissertations (etc.) in the American
language...was unaware of the fact that this author
has published over 2,000 scholarly articles and worked
for some of the most prestigious of publications,
translated for the ruling family of Iran, etc., etc.
In a rancorous manner he rambled and rambled on to
essentially feel better. This was good for him and he
was able to elicit his intrinsic anti-Polish feelings.
Still, the bottom line is one that oscillates around
time/environment and actually comprehending the
regional vernacular.

Remember, this is just a barn yard gathering. In all
probability, if her chatter had been set for a
sophisticated intake -it would have been more
elaborate. Why not be more considerate to the lady?

Lastly, it might be interesting to know that as a
small child I saw 2nd gen. Pol-Ams using the letter
"o" when they wrote the word k-rwa. So much for pigeon
English. One could assume than approximately 85 -90%
of those speaking English as a second language
actually chitchat in a special colloque... Jerzy
Sudykowski, working for Warsaw's regime is a perfect
example of pigeon English. Due to his Warsaw clique he
was able to remain in America for about a decade.
During this time, he was never able to master the
English langauge appropriately.

Oh, I wonder if it would be more interesting to
readerships if the actual Polonian language was used
when citing Polonians. What do you think ?

I won't attempt to jot the above down in the Polish
language. After all, the "u" might become part of a
pigeon Polish...

Cheers/ben