Physics Computing'96 in Krakow, Poland (September 17-21, 1996)

Autor: Witold Witkowski (yawitkow_at_cyf-kr.edu.pl)
Data: Fri 22 Dec 1995 - 14:00:38 MET

Witam,

Na prosbe Organizatorow przesylam zaproszenie do wziecia udzialu
w Konferencji Physics Computing'96 w Krakowie, 17-21 wrzesnia 1996.

   +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
   + FIRST CIRCULAR AND CALL FOR PAPERS+
   +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

8th Joint EPS - APS International Conference on Physics Computing
Physics Computing'96
====================

September 17 -21, 1996, Krakow, Poland
======================================

The Conference is organized by the Academic Computer Centre CYFRONET -
KRAKOW, Krakow, Poland and the Interdisciplinary Group on Computational
Physics of the European Physical Society under the auspicies of the
European and the American Physical Societies. Previous Conferences of
this series took place in Boston (1989), Amsterdam (1990), San Jose
(1991), Prague (1992), Albuquerque (1993), Lugano (1994) and Pittsburg
(1995).

Scientific Program
==================

PC'96 Conference will be a forum for physicists throughout the world for
whom the computer is the main tool of research. We hope that Conference
will enable them to exchange ideas and research results relating to the
fast-growing field of computational physics and to share experience with
the most advanced developments in computer hardware and software. The
scientific program of the conference will consists of invited lectures,
contributed oral presentations, classical and virtual poster sessions,
tutorials and vendor presentations.

Main topics of the meeting will cover various fields of computational
physics, such as:

- computer simulation in statistical physics,
- simulation of specific materials,
- surface phenomena,
- percolation,
- critical phenomena,
- computational fluid dynamics,
- classical and quantum molecular dynamics,
- chaos, dynamical systems,
- self-organization and growth,
- neural networks and their applications,
- complex optimization,

as well as contemporary trends in hardware and software development:

- recent developments in computer architectures,

- modern programming techniques (parallel programming, obejct oriented
  approach), - symbolic computations,

- graphics, visualization and annimation,

together with industrial applications and teaching of computational
physics.

Topics of tutorials (Tuesday, September 17, 1996, afternoon) are
following:

- Modern computer architectures,
- Parallel computing: techniques, languages and environments,
- NAG numerical PVM library,
- IBM parallel numerical ESSL library,
- Hardware and software vendors presentations.

Social program
==============

- PC'96 opening reception,
- excursion and dinner at Salt Mine in Wieliczka

Accommodation
=============

In order to facilitate your attendance at PC'96 cccommodation have been
reserved for participants at preferential rates at the Continental
Hotel. Information about alternative accommodation will be distributed
later on.

Papers Submission
=================

We invite everyone with computational physics ideas or experiences to
submit papers for presentation at PC'96.

Contributed papers must be 4 pages A4 long at most (including figures,
tables and references). Formatting and submission details will be
distributed later on. Authors are requested to submit original camera
ready papers before April 30, 1996. Papers will be reviewed and authors
will be notified of their acceptance by May 31, 1996. Accepted papers
will be included to the Conference program as posters or as oral
presentations. The papers will be printed prior to PC'96 in a
proceeding volume that will be distributed to participants at the
beginning of the Conference.

Registration Fee
=================

The registration fee covers admission to tutorials and to all Conference
sessions, coffee, the proceeedings, opening reception, excursion to the
Salt Mine in Wieliczka and the Conference dinner.

For EPS and APS and affiliated societies members:
- early registration (before June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 180
- late registration (after June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 230

For non-members:
- early registration (before June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 220
- late registration (after June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 270

For students:
- early registration (before June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 140
- late registration (after June 15, 1996) - Sfr. 190

Further Information
===================

For more information about PC'96 contact:

http://www.cyf-kr.edu.pl/pc96
ftp: //ftp.cyf-kr.edu.pl/pc96
email:pc96_at_cyf-kr.edu.pl

Marian Bubak
Physics Computing 96
Academic Computer Centre CYFRONET - Krakow
P. O. Box 386
Nawojki 11
30-950 Krakow 61
POLAND

Phone: (48 - 12) 341 766; 173 964
Fax: (48 - 12) 341 084; 338 054

Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee:

Peter Borcherds University of Birmingham, United Kingdom

Local Organizing Committee
===========================

Elbieta Alda Computer Center, AGH
Wieslaw Brylski CYFRONET - Krakow
Marian Bubak Institute of Computer Science, AGH - chairman
Witold Dzwinel Institute of Computer Science, AGH
Jerzy Koltun CYFRONET - Krakow
Marek Ksiezyk CYFRONET - Krakow
Zofia Mosurska CYFRONET - Krakow - vice-chairman
Maria Niedbala CYFRONET - Krakow
Marian Noga CYFRONET - Krakow
Mieczyslaw Pilipczuk CYFRONET - Krakow
Milena Zajac CYFRONET - Krakow - secretary
Ludmila Zizkovska Institute of Physics - Prague

KRAKOW
=======

Krakow, a city with about 800,000 inhabitants, located in the southern
part of Poland, on the Wisla River, belongs traditionally to the leading
scientific and cultural centres of the country. Today there are 12
university level institutions with about 10,000 scientists and 51,000
students.

Legend says that the city was founded by the mythical ruler Krak on
Wawel Hill, above a cave occupied by a ravenous dragon. The first
historical records are of Slavic people settling along the banks of the
Wisla River here in the 8th century. By the end of the 10th century
Krakow was a major market centre and it had been incorporated into the
Polish state ruled by the Piast dynasty. In the middle of the 11th
century Krakow became the capital of Poland. Destroyed two hundred
years later by the Tartar invasion it was rebuilt in the form basically
unaltered until our times. The period of Krakow's greatest splendour
began with the reign of King Kazimierz the Great who founded here a
university in 1364 - the oldest in central Europe after Prague. The
growth continued during the reign of the Jagiellonian dynasty as
manifested by the great works of the Renaissance art and architecture
created at that time. After the transfer of the capital to Warszawa in
1596, Krakow began to decline, which was accelerated by the pillage of
the city during the Swedish invasion. Following the partitions of
Poland between three neighbouring countries at the end of the 18th
century, Krakow was the incorporated into Austria. During the World War
I from Krakow Legions led by Jozef Pilsudski set out to fight for the
liberation of Poland. In September 1939 the Nazis entered the city.
Fortunately Krakow escaped destruction during World War II and it is now
flourishing again.

In 1978 UNESCO distinguished Krakow by entering its name in the list of
world cultural heritage centers. Among hundreds of historic buildings
the following are of the special interest: the Royal Castle and
Cathedral on Wawel Hill, the medieval Old Town with one of Europe's most
beautiful squares, Market Square (200 by 200 meters), dozens of old
churches and museums, the 14th century Jagiellonian University as well
as Kazimierz - historical centre of Krakow's Jewish religious and social
life. Krakow is a convenient starting point of excursions to the Salt
Mine in Wieliczka, to the Tatra mountains, to Czestochowa , to the
former Nazi death camp Auschwitz in Oswiecim and to the Ojcow National
Park.

Over three centuries ago Krakow acquired the honourable title "totius
Poloniae urbs celeberrima", which well reflected the unique character of
the town, the old capital of Poland, the city of Nicholas Copernicus and
Pope John Paul II.

Come, see and enjoy.

 Witold Witkowski

| Witold Witkowski e-mail: yawitkow_at_cyf-kr.edu.pl |
| Academic Computer Center CYFRONET phone: (+48 012) 22-96-22 ext. 107 |
| ul. Nawojki 11 |
| 30-950 KRAKOW 61, P.O. Box 386 |
| POLAND |