Re: Nowosc nt. Windows 95

Autor: Jerzy Pawlus (Jerzy.Pawlus_at_cyf-kr.edu.pl)
Data: Wed 07 Jun 1995 - 11:24:14 MET DST

Micha/l Ko/lodziejczyk (miko_at_gumbeers.elka.pg.gda.pl) wrote:
> > Dostalem taki oto ciekawy list:
>
> > From: cnorloff_at_tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil
> > Date: Wed, 17 May 95 13:44:40 EDT
>
> > Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
> > small viral routine called Registration Wizard. It interrogates every
> > system on a network gathering intelligence on what software is being run
> > on which machine. It then creates a complete listing of both Microsoft's
> > and competitors' products by machine, which it reports to Microsoft when
> > customers sign up for Microsoft's Network Services, due for launch later
> > this year.

Chyba nie ma tak zle. Patrz ponizsza dyskusja. Chociaz z drugiej strony
widzialem listy, w ktorych goscie pisza, ze sledzili co jest transmitowane
i faktycznie byla transmitowana struktura katalogow.

*> From: "(No Name)" <mbrennen%maverick.intecom.com_at_plearn.edu.pl>
*> Subject: Re: Windows 95 Espionage ( ?? )
*>
*> >Can anybody confirm this ? A little late for April Fool's Day... :-)
*> >
*> >> > Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
*> >> > small viral routine called Registration Wizard. It interrogates every
*> >> > system on a network gathering intelligence on what software is being
*> run
*> >> > on which machine. It then creates a complete listing of both
*> Microsoft's
*> >> > and competitors' products by machine, which it reports to Microsoft
*> when
*> >> > customers sign up for Microsoft's Network Services, due for launch
*> later
*> >> > this year.
*> >> >
*> >> > "In Short" column, page 88, _Information Week_ magazine, May 22, 1995
*> >> >
*>
*>
*> No idea about accuracy of any of this, but I saw this yesterday.
*>
*> ---------------
*> Michael Brennen Intecom, Inc.
*> mbrennen_at_intecom.com 5057 Keller Springs
*> (214) 447-8074 Dallas, TX 75248
*>
*>
*> **************************************************************************
*> from The Risks Digest, volume 17 issue 6 at URL:
*>
*> http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/
*>
*>
*> re: Microsoft plans corporate espionage
*>
*> <ASaunders_at_aol.com>
*> Wed, 24 May 1995 15:02:16 -0400
*>
*>
*> cnorloff_at_tecnet1.jcte.jcs.mil writes:
*>
*> " Microsoft officials confirm that beta versions of Windows 95 include a
*> small viral routine called Registration Wizard. ...
*>
*> Unfortunately Information Week got it wrong. The registration wizard is
*> nothing more than an electronic version of the ordinary reg card that ships
*> with every software product today. Its use is optional, it does not
*> interrogate every PC on a network, and the user chooses what information
*> will be transmitted.
*>
*> I have enclosed a copy of a response we wrote on this, which you can get
*> from ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/win_news/regwiz.txt if you wish.
*>
*> Alec Saunders, Microsoft Corporation, alecs_at_microsoft.com
*>
*> --
*>
*> A recent trade publication article contained inaccuracies regarding the
*> purpose and operation of the Registration Wizard, the on-line registration
*> application in Windows 95. The purpose of the Registration Wizard is to
*> offer an electronic version of the paper-based Registration Card that
*> traditionally comes with all Microsoft products. The Registration Wizard
*> asks for similar information to that listed in the paper-based registration
*> card, such as your hardware configuration and applications usage. Just like
*> with a traditional registration card, providing this information is
*> optional. A customer using the Registration Wizard receives dialog prompts
*> asking them whether they would like to send this information. They must
*> actively click 'send' for any information to be sent.
*>
*> There are lots of benefits to customers that provide this information - such
*> as product update mailings and improved product support because the product
*> support engineer can refer to your exact system configuration information
*> on-line. In the end, though, sending this information is optional and a
*> conscious decision by the user.
*>
*> Microsoft traditionally does not make information gathered during the
*> registration process available to third-parties. If the customer chooses to
*> send system and software information to Microsoft with the Registration
*> Wizard, it is a one-way, one-time occurrence and takes place at the time the
*> customer selects 'send.'
*>
*>

Jurek