(fwd) Re: System Admin Requirements

Autor: Szymon Sokol (szymon_at_uci.agh.edu.pl)
Data: Wed 15 Jun 1994 - 18:33:31 MET DST

A propos dyskusji o obowiiazkach administratora:

Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.admin
From: wolfgang_at_sunspot.nosc.mil (Lewis E. Wolfgang)
Subject: Re: System Admin Requirements
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 1994 03:29:44 GMT

In article <netnewsCr76yy.9xC_at_netcom.com>,
Mark A. Israel <misra_at_netcom.com> wrote:
>I was also wondering if any one hand any sample job descriptions for UNIX
>system administrators? Or if someone could point me to some articles or
>books on the subject.

I gave this to my boss at my last performance review. Harumph, he laughed!
But it's true!

Good luck,
Lewie Wolfgang

1 Install and maintain Operating Systems (homo, het, whatever)

2 Install internal memory

3 Check disk space daily

4 Check postmaster mail daily

5 Check completion of backups daily

6 Move furniture and computers when offices are moved

7 Repair any computer-related hardware that malfunctions

8 Answer user's questions about how to use the computers (more specifics on
   particularly time-consuming aspects of this are detailed later, but it
   should be understood that it includes teaching secretaries how to use
   WordPerfect...)

9 Write tutorials for users who are too technically disinclined to
   understand UNIX manuals

10 Assist non-technical users with writing shell scripts

11 Assist technical users with fixing programming bugs (at least in determining
   whether the bug is in the compiler/libraries/operating system/installation)

12 Research prices, features, and availability of computer-related equipment
   that anyone in the organization wants to purchase

13 Schedule capital budget purchases to satisfy depreciation requirements

14 Coordinate all technical support within the organization

15 Field sales calls from vendors selling computer equipment

16 Recover accidentially deleted files and/or directories for users

17 Design scripts, menus, programs to make computer operation as painless
   for users as possible, including making heterogeneous machines act as
   homogeneously as possible

18 Download and install "freely-available" software, including porting it
   to various platforms if workload permits, also including keeping it
   up-to-date

19 Install and support any commercial software that anyone in the organization
   purchases

20 Add/delete/change user accounts, host tables, and similar configuration
   files/tables/systems

21 Install and support any computer-related equipment that anyone in the
   organization purchases

22 Install operating system (and possibly other software) patches when
   required/available

23 Maintain library of computer-related manuals and other books

24 Educate users in how to effectively utilize all available system resources

--
                           Szymon Sokol -- Network Manager
U     U  M     M  M     M  University of Mining and Metallurgy, Computer Center