Re: KT7A a WD100GB???

Autor: Michal Letowski (milet_at_geocities.com)
Data: Tue 02 Jul 2002 - 23:05:50 MET DST

Użytkownik "-=MaR=-" <mar-_at_pf.pl> napisał w wiadomości
> Witam serdecznie!!!
> Zamierzam wlasnie kupic nowy dysk twardy. Zainteresowala mnie oferta firmy
> WD, a dokladniej modele:
> 1. HDD 100.0 GB WD 1000BB 7.200 RPM U100 - bufor 2
> 2. HDD 100.0 GB WD 1000JB 7.200 RPM U100 - bufor 8
> .posiadam plyte glowna Abit KT7A, w zwiazku z czym mam pytanie: Czy plyta
ma
> rozpozna bez problemow powyzsze dyski i poprawnie bedzie z nimi
pracowala???
> Z góry dziekuje za odpowiedz :-)

Nie wiem, czy to akurat ten model, ale moga byc problemy.
Oto cytat z ABIT KT133A FAQ:

Why is my Western Digital drive not detected by my motherboard?
It seems that certain Western Digital disk drives have a firmware
incompatiblity with the KT133 and KT133A chipsets that causes them to not be
detected by motherboards using these chipsets - such as the KT7/KT7A/KT7E
motherboards (with or without RAID). Considerable discussion on this problem
may be found on this thread at Western Digital's support site. A variety of
disk drives seem to be affected and include the WD200, WD400BB, WD1000 plus
other 20, 40, 60, 80 and 120GB models. Western Digital and ABIT are aware of
the problem and Western Digital are apparently working on a firmware
upgrade - see their site. Update: Several users with Western Digital disks
have recently emailed me that there are no problems (3 May 2002) with new
disks, and so it is likely that the firmware upgrade is now implemented.

Note that the jumper settings on the drive are "Single", "Master" and
"Slave". If it is the only drive on the channel, you need to select "Single"
not "Master". Some users have reported that if you cut the cut pins one and
two (red stripe + one) on the 80-way ATA/66 cable the drive will use "Cable
Select" and is detected properly.

One user reported that a solution was to boot into the BIOS with the old
disk in place. Manually change the disk to none. Save changes and then Power
off with the main power switch. Then remove the old disk. Connect the new
Western Digital drive then reboot into the BIOS and force a manual
re-detection of the HD. No cutting of cables was required.