Re: Laptop Toshiba Satellite 100 CS

Autor: Darek (agap_at_optonline.net)
Data: Thu 28 Feb 2002 - 01:33:39 MET

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:34:46 +0100, "Zielo" <zielo_at_plusnet.pl> wrote:

>Witam wszystkich grupowiczow.
>Mam problem zalozylem jakis czas temu haslo na bios w tym komputerze a ze
>nie byl on uzywany przez dluzszy czas, zapomnialem hasla. Moje pytanie czy
>istnieje jakies standardowe haslo? Dziekuje za odpowiedz.
>Pozdrawiam
>Zielo

INFORMATION:

There are three levels of passwords available on computers using
windows 95/98.

1. BIOS
2. Supervisor
3. Windows

Both the BIOS and Supervisor passwords come up immediately after the
memory check on cold boots and resets only. The background is plain
matte and looks like a blank DOS screen. Once enabled, if the user
does not have the correct password, access to the system is completely
impossible. It is impossible to remove the password prompt without
having the correct password; the computer must be referred to an ASP
for BIOS password removal. It is notable that although these two
passwords appear the same they are enabled and disabled totally
differently. Also if both are enabled the supervisor password takes
precedence.

The Windows password comes up after the windows OS load and is NOT a
secure access. It is simply
used to configure the environment for each logged in user. When
prompted for the windows password the background is the windows splash
screen. Clicking on "cancel"will result in a continued boot to the
standard windows interface.

RESOLUTIONS:

BIOS PASSWORD

ENABLE

To enable BIOS password enter the BIOS setup and enter the correct
characters. The user will be prompted to verify this entry then the
password field will change to 'Enabled'. Subsequently all cold or
reset boots will req uire the correct password in order for the boot
process to continue.

Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. Unit
will display "Check system. Then press (F1) key"
2. Release the ESC key, press the F1 key. This will put the unit into
the BIOS setup screen.
3. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight
NOT REGISTERED.
4. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the password at the "Password = " prompt,
press ENTER
5. The computer will prompt for the password again (verification),
enter password, press enter. At this time the password field will
change to REGISTERED. Subsequent boots will require the password.
6. Press END to save and "Y" to exit.

DISABLE

To disable BIOS password press the ESC key during a cold or reset boot
until the password prompt appears, release the ESC key and enter the
correct characters, press ENTER. After ENTER is pressed the 'Press F1
to enter setup'is displayed. Enter BIOS; go to the password field,
press the space bar and you will be prompted for the password. Enter
the correct characters, press enter and the password field will revert
to Not "Registered". Subsequent boots will not prompt for a password.
If the user does not have the password ALWAYS send them to an ASP,
explain that we cannot help them remove a password over the phone,
that they MUST bring the unit - preferably with proof of ownership to
an ASP.

Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. The
unit will prompt "Password = "
2. Enter the correct password, press ENTER. Unit will display "Valid
password entered, system is now starting up. Check system. Then press
(F1) key"
3. Press the F1 key. This will put the unit into the BIOS setup
screen.
4. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight
REGISTERED.
5. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the correct password, press ENTER. At
this time the password field will change to NOT REGISTERED

NOTE: If the cold/reset boot prompts for a password and the password
field in the BIOS is blank then the computer has a SUPERVISOR
password. Follow the steps below for removal of the Supervisor
password.

SUPERVISOR PASSWORD

ENABLE

To enable the supervisor password you must run an application. This is
available either through the companion disk utility 'Password', or
going to the /DOS directory on the hard drive and running the utility
program "SVPW". Both methods will prompt twice (verify) and then
subsequent cold/reset boots will prompt for a password before any boot
is possible.

STEPS
1. Boot up on the Toshiba Companion Disk.
2. Press ENTER at the welcome screen.
3. Go to the "SET PASSWORD"choice, press ENTER.
4. The utility program will ask "Do you want to register the
supervisor password ?"
5. Press Y, then enter the password, re-enter to verify the password
when prompted. The system will return to the companion disk menu.
6. Remove the companion disk and reboot.

OR< BR>
1. Go to START - SHUT DOWN - RESTART THE COMPUTER IN MS-DOS MODE.
2. Enter "CD.." to change to the rood C:\.
3. Enter "CD DOS"to enter the DOS directory.
4. Enter "SVPW" to execute the supervisor password program
5. The utility program will ask "Do you want to register the
supervisor password ?"
6. Press Y, then enter the password, re-enter to verify when prompted.
The system will respond "SUPERVISOR PASSWORD = REGISTERED"

DISABLE

it does not work>

To disable the Supervisor password you MUST be able to enter the
correct password, Boot up to windows. Then go to Start/Programs/MS DOS
prompt change directories back to the DOS directory and run the
utility program "SVPW". The program will ask if removing the password
is desired. Press YES, then enter the correct password. Then exit back
to windows and shut down normally. When the system is rebooted you
will no longer be prompted for a password.

Steps
1. Power up unit and enter the correct password when prompted, boot
the system.
2. Go to START - SHUT DOWN - RESTART THE COMPUTER IN MS-DOS MODE.
3. Enter "CD.."to change to the root C:\.
4. Enter "CD DOS"to enter the DOS directory.
5. Enter "SVPW"to execute the supervisor password program The system
will respond "SUPERVISOR PASSWORD = REGISTERED Do you want to delete
the supervisor password ?"
6. Press Y, then enter the password, press EN TER. The system will
respond "SUPERVISOR PASSWORD = NOT GISTERED"

WINDOWS PASSWORD

ENABLE

To enable windows password double-click password icon in control
panel, click Users Profiles, uncheck "All users of this computer use
the same preferences and desktop settings". The next time Windows is
restarted the user will be prompted for their password.

Steps:
1. Start/Settings/Control Panel - Double-Click on PASSWORDS
2. Click on 'Change Windows Password'
3. Click USER PROFILES tab. Place dot in button "Users can customize
their preference and desktop settings. Windows switches to your
personal settings whenever you log in."

DISABLE

To disable windows password go to Start/Find files or folders find and
delete all .PWL files. Then go to the passwords/profiles and place
check into All users of this computer use the same preferences and
desktop settings". Reboot and IF prompted for password, leave blank
and click accept. Subsequent windows restarts should result in no
password prompts.

Steps:
1. Start/Settings/Control Panel - Double-Click on PASSWORDS
2. Click on 'Change Windows Password'
3. Click USER PROFILES tab. Place dot on button "All users of this
computer use the same preferences and desktop settings."
4. Click on Start/Find Files and Folders. In the named box type in
*.pwl, hit enter. Any files it finds in white box below click on the
file(s) to highlight, press delete button, repeat until white box is
empty, close find box.
5. Restart W indows95 and check if logon screen is gone.
6. If logon screen is there, put in any name, leave the password
blank, and click OK. Click OK on the password verification screen.
Restart the computer and verify the password screen is gone.

Good Luck