Re: Intel i SSocket 7

Autor: A. Bigor (zbyfek_at_pertus.com.pl)
Data: Sun 09 May 1999 - 01:46:46 MET DST

Tomo <tomekwr_at_box43.gnet.pl> wrote in message
> Slyszalem ostatnio cos dziwnego:
> podobno Intel zamierza robic
> procesory w Super Socket 7
> Slyszalktos cos takiego?

Widzę, że nikt Ci nie odpowiedział, więc ja to zrobię. :)

Tak, to prawda. Prawdą jest także, że intel chce wesprzeć
inne firmy i w tańszych procesorach (głównie Celeronach) zastosować
alternatywne rozwiązania (3DNow!).

A oto oryginał:

Reuters News Wire
Silicon Valley, April 1, 1999

In a press release earlier today Intel announced that it would be licensing
from AMD the 3d-Now instruction for it's low end Celeron systems. Senior
Vice President Ralph Stowe made the announcement to the shock of the crowd
of technical journalists.

"We just have to admit that it would be counter-productive to go against
what is already close to an industry standard with all of our competitors
already implementing this feature and many games taking advantage of it
already. Our SSE instruction set only equals 3d-Now in performance and it
would require too much expenditure of resources to get it the widespread
support 3d-Now already enjoys. " stated Ralph.

Questions as to whether Intel would continue to promote SSE were answered as
follows. "Well it was a really great idea but it took us too long to develop
it, and even with all of that R&D it still is no better than AMD's 3d-Now
instruction set. We intend on implementing both in future chipsets which can
result in twice the FPU performance with our already superior technology."

As the press confrence dragged on a gorilla wearing a bunny suit came out to
dance for half-time. This was according to Intel Vice President no ordinary
Gorilla but one who's brain had been replaced by the new PIII-chip. This
resulted in an incredible array of 3d manuevers now and also he was easily
trackable thanks to the new serial #. The Monkey then tried to break free
and was close to freedom by opening up a door and nearly getting into the
internet but he thanks to the serial ID he was easily subdued and
tranquilized by the Intel Police in their Bunny Suits of Terror.

The confrence didn't continue after this even with an attempt by Intel to
lure everyone back by blasting the latest Blur song. Intel later explained
that the Monkey malfunctioned due to a rare bug that happens when you divide
a real number by an imaginary number. They told people not to worry this
will almost never happen in real use so no average person should worry. The
whole display has PETA up in arms, and many sickened journalists.

--
A. Bigor (http://web.pertus.com.pl/~zbyfek -- szwarc, mydło i powidło o
podkręcaniu)