Re: SCSI - drivery

Autor: Frantisek Rysanek (xrysf03_at_eunet.cz)
Data: Mon 20 Jul 1998 - 10:30:28 MET DST

Hi.
I'm currently pursuing a similar issue - I have a genius scanner
supplied with a SCSI adapter based on the same chip.
Try downloading a driver pack for HP ScanJet 4p, unpack it
(e.g. using WinZip), go to "add new hardware", "don't detect",
select "SCSI adapter", "have disk", point the installer
into the driver directory and select the driver for 53c400. It's
identified by a file called 53c416.inf. 53c416 is supposed to be
a stripped-down version of 53c400 and I even think the chip
is still stamped with the 53c400 title, so the driver should work.

I haven't tried that with my 53c400 yet, but I will. Now I just
hope the investigative effort is worth it :) Again, I may be
completely wrong in my conclusions.

Some say the 53c400 is way too slow, or that it loads the host
CPU, but I guess it depends on your particular hardware and mode
of use and on the mechanical speed of your scanner. If I can
borrow a decent SCSI card, I'll try to compare them.

I apologize for writing in English - I'm Czech so I can understand
your Polish (I hope that's what you call your language in
English :) but I thought you'd appreciate my English more than
my Czech...

Frank Rysanek