"crashing the computer."

Autor: Gregorio Kus (Grego_at_RMnet.it)
Data: Mon 24 Mar 1997 - 16:42:38 MET

wybaczcie ze znow po angielsku, ale to jest naprawde swietne

>Its not that he is especially clever-
>its that he watches me, and has no fear or preconceived
>notions about computers. Older adults that maybe entering
>computing for the first time are just baffled by the
>technology. But is *not* by the degree of expertise
>required, but by the "fear of the unknown" and notions of
>"crashing the computer."

Okay, okay... this reminds me of a story!

Several years ago, when 486s were the newest, most expensive things on
the scene, and Atari STs still looked like a viable option, a friend of
mine decided it was about time his girlfriend (blonde to the core)
learned a little something about using the computer. That was his
first mistake.

So he sat her down at the 1040 STe and proceded to boot it up for her.
She being a classic example of "afraid that she'll break it by touching
the wrong key", reached out apprehensively and touched pushed on the
space bar...

At that very instance, a minivan speeding down the road in front of
their place, under the control of a VERY drunk driver, veered off the
road and through a power pole a couple hundred feet past their place.
This had the marvelous effect of bringing the lines together, shorting
them across the big transformer on the pole directly in front of their
house...

One incredible bright flash of light and a house-shaking *BOOM* later,
the power went out, leaving this chick cowering on the floor saying
over and over, "I didn't do it, I didn't do it!"

>From then until they finally broke up, she never went near his computer
again.

Gregorio Kus         Grego_at_RMnet.it           Grego_at_cyberspace.org
ROMA, Italy          2ndAdmin_at_iName.com       Grego_at_FreeNet.hut.fi
Anonymous Mail Service - http://free.rmnet.it/~grego/AnonMail.html