OpenDoc versus OLE

Autor: Gregorio Kus (Grego_at_RMnet.IT)
Data: Thu 04 Apr 1996 - 04:10:03 MET DST

Artykul wydal mi sie na tyle ciekawy ze pozwalam sobie
go tu wrzucic - mam nadzieje ze nie bedziecie mi mieli za zle.

Grego

   PC Week Online

   Soft Talk
   March 25, 1996

   OpenDoc: Ready for the Acme of Success?

   By Peter Coffee

   With last week's announcements regarding Microsoft's Internet
   plans, I'm forced to rethink my past predictions of gloomy prospects
   for OpenDoc. Where OpenDoc used to be vapor, while Microsoft's OLE was
   here and now, today it's OLE that seems to have a continuing identity
   crisis. OpenDoc, with OS/2 tools shipping now and Windows tools close
   to release, delivers what it promised all along.

   Last May, I compared the contest between OpenDoc and Object Linking
   and Embedding to a "Garfield" comic strip, with Microsoft in the title
   role. Garfield challenges the hapless Odie to a running-into-the-wall
   contest; Odie wins, and Garfield cheerfully concedes as he walks away
   from the remains. But it looks as if I picked the wrong characters.

   I suggested that meeting the challenge of OLE 2.0 compliance would
   divert OpenDoc away from developing its own distinctive appeal, and
   that the OpenDoc API might never become an attractive development
   target in its own right. I suggested that winning a compatibility game
   by Microsoft's rules is a tiny victory wrapped in a much larger loss.
   But what if this isn't a "Garfield" strip, but a "Road Runner"
   cartoon?

   Picture Microsoft as Wile E. Coyote, painting a fake tunnel entrance
   on the side of a cliff. "Mainstream market share: Enter here," says
   the sign, and Wile E. hides behind a rock and waits for the Road
   Runner to hit the wall.

   But then the Road Runner comes screaming down the highway and goes
   right through that false entrance, disappearing within. Wile E.
   stares, then tries to give chase--only to collide with the solid rock
   that the coyote can't get through.

   This was the image that came to mind when I saw the Windows
   implementation of OpenDoc, soon to ship from IBM following this
   month's release of tools for OS/2. Not only did I see OpenDoc
   applications providing mix-and-match compatibility with OLE; I also
   saw OpenDoc parts continuing to deliver capabilities, even while
   pasted into an OLE container, that OLE alone does not provide.

   I didn't think this was architecturally possible, but IBM pays these
   people to surprise me. And PC Week pays me to tell you about it. And
   you get paid to prove your value to your organization by producing
   applications with new flexibility and power. Does OpenDoc make it
   easier for you to do that?

   The OpenDoc consortium has finally learned to answer questions of this
   kind, and it looks as if the answer is yes. Being based on IBM's SOM
   (System Object Model), OpenDoc offers networked capabilities today
   through Distributed SOM. The equivalent in OLE is still very much in
   preparation. Microsoft, in fact, is already working on its latest
   chapter of "it's just the same, only different" by renaming OLE custom
   control modules as ActiveX controls and incorporating Sun's Java
   language.

   Microsoft's application framework and OLE in particular have always
   been aimed at speeding the adoption of Microsoft platforms and
   services. OpenDoc, like Borland's OWL, is designed with more general
   abstraction in mind, leading to more concise code with much less
   developer attention to low-level details.

   OpenDoc is present tense. And about time, too. Give it a serious look.

   Copyright (c) 1996 Ziff-Davis Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

--
Gregorio Kus    Grego_at_RMnet.it                 Grego_at_cyberspace.org