Re: Problem z Gravisem

Autor: Tomasz Finke (tom_at_sprocket.ict.pwr.wroc.pl)
Data: Fri 22 Sep 1995 - 19:00:06 MET DST

Marcin Witek (wit_at_zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl) wrote:
: Mam taki problem z nowo nabytym cudem typu Gravis Ultrasound. Wszystko niby
: jest dobrze, ale jak odpalam SBOS to pisze : "NMI on this PC is disabled"
: czy cos podobnego. Mam plyte OPTi 495SLC i procesor 486SX 40 MHz. Moze
: ktos mial cos podobnego i cos mi powie na ten temat.
: Wit

O ile pamietam, to SBOS nie chce dzialac na pytach, ktore maja
zablokowane NMI. Przytaczam fragmen Gravis FAQ:

---------
        The Sound Blaster FM music emulation is provided by a software
program called SBOS - Sound Board Operating System. This is a TSR which
links to the Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI). SBOS is currently supplied
with the GUS but is continually being updated.

   [NOTE: A small number of motherboards have the NMI disabled. This
   is unacceptable practice and makes the motherboard not IBM-AT
   compatible. There may be a jumper to re-enable it. You should be
   within your rights to demand a motherboard with NMI enabled. If you
   have this problem help is around the corner - read on..]
---------

I jeszcze pare zdan o plytach OPTi:

---------
        There have been troubles with the GUS if your computer's
chipset is made by OPTI. Not all OPTI chipsets are bad, but some of
them have a faulty DMA controller. We're still trying to pin down
which chipsets are flawed; when we have a better idea of exactly which
ones are bad they'll be added here. Until then, be careful if your
computer has an OPTI set, and try reading the UltraSound Daily Digest,
or comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard on USENET.

Written by: dantonio_at_magick.tay2.dec.com
        Actually, it's not just OPTi chipsets, UMC has been implicated
as well (Gravis first noticed the problem with UMC chipsets) and
according to Digital Audio Labs (who told Gravis what was going on),
the bad datacode is 9149 and the bad chip is the 82C206. This is all
explained in the docs for GUS0013.ZIP (I think), the OPTi fix posted
to the GUS FTP sites.
---------

Pozdrowienia,
Tomek