Jeszcze o jakosci M$

Autor: Jarek Lis (lis_at_cyber.ict.pwr.wroc.pl)
Data: Tue 19 Sep 1995 - 16:45:24 MET DST

Patrzcie co udalo mi sie znalezc (nie sprawdzalem). A swoja droga jak
sie pisze programy, zeby takie cuda powychodzily? Jeden M$ wie.

Michael J. Lindsay (lindsay_at_azstarnet.com) wrote:
: Stupid Excel Tricks
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Go to any cell in Excel.
: Type in 1.40737488355328 DO NOT PRESS ENTER
: Examine that input carefully.
: Click your heels together three times while saying the magic word:
: "Microsoft".
: Now press enter. Examine the result.
:
: Type in =1.40737488355328
: Press enter.
: Examine the result.
:
: This happens on Excel 5 on a Mac or an IBM, also Excel 7 for
: Windows 95. A different wrong value is observed on a Power PC.
:
: This was discovered by Stuart Worley of Hughes Aircraft Company, Tucson
: AZ when he input the following formula in a large spreadsheet.(9/11/95):
: +INT((2^47)/(10^INT(LOG(2^47))))
: The result "0" instead of "1" stood out of the middle of the spreadsheet. This
: prompted him to investigate further.
:
: As far as we know, INT is the only function that misbehaves with this formula
: output. This misbehavior may not be evident on a Power PC. There, the magic
: number is converted to 1.28 , not 0.64. INT will round this down to 1,
: just as if it were the correct value. This problem has just been reported to Microsoft.
:
: The following is copied directly from Excel:
: 1.40737488355328 is the magic number.
:
: Type the magic number (above) then enter:
: 0.64000000000000000000000000
:
: Type the equals key, then the magic number and enter:
: 1.40737488355328000000000000
:
: The magic number / 2 =
: 0.70368744177664000000000000
:
: +1 + 0.40737488355328=
: 1.40737488355328000000000000
:
: For Excel Power users:
:
: When you "paste special" the "value" function of above cell:
: 0.64000000000000000000000000
:
: The "value" of the text version of the magic number:
: 1.40737488355328000000000000
:
: You may say "but this is a 15 digit number. People hardly ever use
: 15 digit numbers." But remember, the problem that originally caught
: this bug had numbers no bigger than 2 digits!
:
: I think I will ask my boss for a pay cut by the factor 1.40737488355328.
:
: Can someone write an Excel macro that checks a large number of numbers
: looking for other magic numbers? The question is: how do you know the
: macro will not lie to you?
:

--
Jaroslaw Lis
| lis_at_ict.pwr.wroc.pl         | Institute of Engineering Cybernetics     |