. C. Russ, R. T. Dehoff, Practical Stereology, 2nd Edition

Autor: Krzysztof Jan Hübner <hubner_at_IOd.krakow.pl>
Data: Thu 14 Dec 2000 - 09:54:47 MET

subject: J. C. Russ, R. T. Dehoff, Practical Stereology, 2nd Edition, Plenum
Press, New York, 2000 (!?!), isbn 0-306-46476-4

Some folks on this list have an early draft of my forthcoming (more on that
below!) book on stereology, which was distributed on the CD with the Image
Processing Tool Kit and also handed out in notes form at the various image
analysis workshops that I've taught for the past many years. Bob Dehoff (who
teaches those workshops with me) and I completed the final version of that
book in December, 1999, and sent it in to the publisher. It has taken them a
very long time to get around to doing anything with the book, and they are
still apparently having a lot of internal technical problems (not worth
going
into here - but *.doc files and *.tif files on a CD seem to be a little too
high tech for these people, and they clearly don't have any idea what a
*.pdf
file is good for). At the M&M meeting in Philadelphia, quite a few people
asked me about the book and at that time Plenum was promising that it would
be available in September. Well, of course, it wasn't, and still isn't and
frankly I'm getting tired of apologizing for it. None of the delay has
anything to do with the authors, it is strictly production difficulties and
high level of technical incompetence at the publisher's end. Anyway, to make
a long story less long, I've put a copy of the entire book on the web in the
form of a pdf file. In order to keep the download times reasonable (it is
still 7.1 MB) the graphics are jpeg compressed, but I think still useful and
legible. Anyone who wants to download a copy is welcome to it. When the book
eventually (!) comes out the on-line version will evaporate. You may want to
purchase a copy to get the index and somewhat better graphics, but I will
leave that to your conscience. For the present, you can find a link to it at
<http://members.aol.com/ImagProcTK/updates> (look toward the bottom of the
page under "Data Analysis") or on my web page
<http://members.aol.com/DrJohnRuss> (go to the "links" section). In the
on-line file, the contents are linked to the book pages and of course you
can
use Acrobat Reader to search for any word in the text.

John Russ

Ooops - guess I need to type more carefully. The correct URL for downloading
the Practical Stereology textbook is
<http://members.aol.com/ImagProcTK/update.html>. The link there goes to a
grad student's computer (someone who had enough storage space that I could
use for a while), and from time to time that machine may go off line (when
he
is doing some "real" work), so if you don't get through at first be patient
and try again in a few hours or the next day.

Sorry for the hassle

John Russ