Re: no to zdrowko...;)

Autor: Andrzej Kasperowicz <andyk_at_spunge.org>
Data: Wed 01 Feb 2006 - 14:25:19 MET

> Podawali jakies konkretne ilosci, czy tylko tak sobie napisali?
> Pewnie woda w butelkach z PP zawiera 10 do minus 10 antymonu, a woda
> z butelek PET 10 do minus 5, co jest az sto tysiecy razy wiecej...
> tylko czy warto robic rejwach o takie ilosc?

Zalezy czy antymon jest toksyna kumulujaca sie czy nie. Jesli sie kumuluje w
organizmach to nawet male stezenia moga miec znaczenie po dluzszym czasie.

Informacja prasowa Uniw. w Heidelbergu:
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/press/news/news06/2601antime.html

Bottled Waters Contaminated with Antimony from PET

Prof. William Shotyk and co-workers at the Institute of Environmental
Geochemistry, University of Heidelberg, measured the abundance of antimony in
fifteen brands of bottled water from Canada and forty-eight from across Europe

Bottled waters in PET containers are contaminated with antimony (Sb), a
potentially toxic heavy metal with no known physiological function. Antimony
trioxide is used as a catalyst in the manufacture of PET (polyethylene
terephthalate), and PET typically contains several hundred mg/kg of Sb. For
comparison, most of the rocks and soils at the surface of the earth contain
less than 1 mg/kg Sb.

Prof. William Shotyk and co-workers at the Institute of Environmental
Geochemistry, University of Heidelberg, measured the abundance of Sb in
fifteen brands of bottled water from Canada and forty-eight from across
Europe. His team also measured Sb in a pristine groundwater from a rural
region of Canada, three brands of deionized water in PET bottles, as well as a
new brand of water from Canada bottled commercially in polypropylene.
Measuring Sb in pristine waters is quite a challenge because of the very low
natural abundance of this element. This was not a problem for Dr. Michael
Krachler, a leading expert for the analysis of Sb in environmental samples.
Dr. Krachler used the unique clean laboratory facilities available at the
University of Heidelberg which had earlier allowed him to measure Sb in polar
snow and ice from the Canadian arctic.

The pristine groundwater was found to contain only two parts per trillion of
Sb, with the bottled waters typically showing values a few hundred times
greater. The water in polypropylene was comparable to the pristine water,
suggesting that the PET bottles were to blame for the high Sb values. Even
though deionized water should be very clean, in PET bottles these contained as
much Sb as the natural waters in PET bottles. Adding pristine groundwaters to
PET bottles quickly confirmed that the bottles were contaminating the waters
by leaching of Sb from the containers.

Comparison of three German brands of water available in both glass bottles and
PET containers showed that waters bottled in PET contained up to 30 times more
Sb. As a final test of the contamination hypothesis, water was collected from
a commercial source in Germany, prior to bottling; this water was found to
contain only four parts per trillion of Sb. However, the same brand of water
purchased locally in PET bottles, was found to contain 360 parts per trillion.
This same brand of water in PET bottles, but purchased three months earlier,
yielded 630 parts per trillion Sb.

Although all of the waters tested were found to contain Sb in concentrations
well below the guidelines commonly recommended for drinking water, Shotyk said
that the continuous release from the container to the fluid is bothersome.
"There is unlikely to be a beneficial effect of Sb contamination". He noted
further that in Japan, PET is manufactured using titanium (Ti), an element
which is effectively insoluble and harmless, instead of potentially toxic Sb.

Contact Information:
Prof. Dr. William Shotyk
Institute of Environmental Geochemistry
University of Heidelberg
INF 236, D-69120
tel (06221) 54 4803
fax (06221) 54 5228
Email: shotyk@ugc.uni-heidelberg.de

Dr. Michael Krachler
Institute of Environmental Geochemistry
University of Heidelberg
INF 236, D-69120
tel (06221) 54 4848
fax (06221) 54 5228
Email: krachler@ugc.uni-heidelberg.de

Dr. Michael Schwarz
Press Officer of the University of Heidelberg
phone: 06221/542310, fax: 54317
michael.schwarz@rektorat.uni-heidelberg.de
http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/presse/index.html

Abstrakt:
http://www.rsc.org/Publishing/Journals/EM/article.asp?doi=b517844b

Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 2006, (Advance Article)
DOI: 10.1039/b517844b
Contamination of Canadian and European bottled waters with antimony from PET
containers

William Shotyk, Michael Krachler and Bin Chen
Using clean lab methods and protocols developed for measuring Sb in polar snow
and ice, we report the abundance of Sb in fifteen brands of bottled water from
Canada and forty-eight from Europe. Comparison with the natural abundance of
Sb in pristine groundwaters, water bottled commercially in polypropylene,
analyses of source waters prior to bottling, and addition of uncontaminated
groundwater to PET bottles, provides unambiguous evidence of Sb leaching from
the containers. In contrast to the pristine groundwater in Ontario, Canada
containing 2.2 . 1.2 ng l.1 Sb, 12 brands of bottled natural waters from
Canada contained 156 . 86 ng l.1 and 3 brands of deionized water contained 162
. 30 ng l.1; all of these were bottled in PET containers. Natural water from
Ontario bottled in polypropylene contained only 8.2 . 0.9 ng l.1. Comparison
of three German brands of water available in both glass bottles and PET
containers showed that waters bottled in PET contained up to 30 times more Sb.
To confirm that the elevated Sb concentrations are due to leaching from the
PET containers, water was collected in acid-cleaned LDPE bottles from a
commercial source in Germany, prior to bottling; this water was found to
contain 3.8 . 0.9 ng l.1 Sb (n = 5), compared with the same brand of water
purchased locally in PET bottles containing 359 . 54 ng l.1 (n = 6). This same
brand of water in PET bottles, after an additional three months of storage at
room temperature, yielded 626 . 15 ng l.1 Sb (n = 3). Other German brands of
water in PET bottles contained 253.546 ng l.1 Sb (n = 5). The median
concentration of Sb in thirty-five brands of water bottled in PET from eleven
other European countries was 343 ng l.1 (n = 35). As an independent check of
the hypothesis that Sb is leaching from PET, the pristine groundwater from
Canada (containing 2.2 . 1.2 ng l.1 Sb) was collected from the source using
PET bottles from Germany: this water contained 50 . 17 ng l.1 Sb (n = 2) after
only 37 days, even though it was stored in the refrigerator, and 566 ng l.1
after six months storage at room temperature.

FAQ o PETach:
http://www.napcor.com/faqs.htm

ak