eCS najblizsza przyszłosc

Autor: Marek Wojciechowski (mw_at_pg.gda.pl)
Data: Tue 15 Jan 2002 - 23:43:47 MET

Hej,

Poniżej fragment listu, który pojawił się na liście dyskusyjnej eCS.
Osobiście najbardziej podoba mi się wątek o współpracy z IBM

----
[...]
We are discussing three product brandings. I want folks to understand
that this falls short of an announcement ... because I can't provide
the specifics I think are required for an announcement. I think an
announcement could be made in another week.

First, eCS Entry Edition 1.05 (SRP $79 upgrade from Warp 4, $199 for
new users). This product will be a response to those folks who said
they didn't want all the software (and associated expense) which comes
with the current eCS product.  It is a low cost, entry product. It
will include MCP2, StarOffice, but not Smart Suite, InJoy, or some of
the new features coming up, like eWorkPlace (more on this later in the
note). eCS Entry Edition should be available in February.

Second, eCS WorkPlace 1.05 (SRP $239 Upgrade from Warp 4) This is eCS
Entry w/eCS Virtual PC included. eCS WorkPlace will support OS/2 and
Linux, out of the box. So, it runs DOS, Win3.1, OS/2, some Win32,
Java, out of the box. Complete Win32 application support would require
the user to run a copy of Windows as a guest OS. Other OSs seem to
work well in the VPC.

The eCS VPC will be an optional product for all eCS users, anticpated
pricing is $160 SRP. The GA of eCS WorkPlace hinges on the
availability of the eCS VPC, which is the joint Serenity Systems,
InnoTek, and Connectix project. Perhaps April.

eCS Extended Edition 1.1, which is the follow on to the current
product. It will have MCP2, Smart Suite 1.7, eWorkPlace, and so forth.
We are working on the installation program with IBM .. and expect 1.1
to have an improved, CID supported, network install. Folks from
Warpstock Europe might think of Alain Rykaert's presentation. Stuff
like that ..  with a new front end. If we are able to complete this
work, I think it will delight users ... really.

We are looking at a media refresh of the inventory. No big changes,
but a service level update .. no reason to refresh the inventory with
known bugs. So .. the inventory refresh is likely to be an eCS 1.02.
And, if we do that, I expect the 1.02 to be available to existing
users for media and handling, likely around $20.

The eCS UP users can look forward to several updates. I regret, I
still have not received my copies of Smart Suite 1.7. When I do, it
goes up for download, and users will also be able to order CDs at cost
of media. And we will provide eCS UP users with a replacement CD#2
which will convert their systems to MCP2.

And eCS UP users will also be getting their first looks at eWorkPlace.
This is a product being developed by Ulrich Moeller based on his
XWorkPlace .. but developed specifically for eCS. Time frame for these
items to get on to eCS UP is next month.
[...]

Regards,
Bob St.John
Serenity Systems