BTW: OS2NIX

Autor: Przemyslaw Dobrowolski (dobrawka_at_obta.uw.edu.pl)
Data: Tue 15 Feb 2000 - 10:57:42 MET

Właśnie zaczęła się dyskusja. na łamach Odinowych listgrup, na temat projektu
OS2NIX.

----
From: Knut.Stange.Osmundsen_at_pmsc.no <Knut.Stange.Osmundsen_at_pmsc.no>

I have allready started to implemented ELF loading. Currently only
exploring the Elf format by writing a dumper. There are some stupid
limitations in OS/2 that have to be overcommed before a fully functional
ELF loader can be implemented. Most notably is to make the segments page
aligned, and not as OS/2 prefer it 64KB aligned. There is a way of getting
around this, by putting all the segments into one big read-write segment,
but then what's the point about share libraries... I think I am on the
track of the flags needed to be adjusted. Then there is another problem,
Linux executables are loaded at 0x80000000 which is not an address usually
available in OS/2. And Elf executables don't commonly contain fixups. Warp
Server for e-Bussiness might be made do load a program at this address
(provided you set VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT > 2048). The GCC for OS2NIX (the
subsystem) will ofcourse change have the baseaddress for executables set at
0x00010000 which is the one OS/2 insists on using.

The OS2NIX subsystem will start out by creating the ELF loader (Ring-0!)
using Win32k.sys. This is the first milestone.
The 2nd milestone is to create a LDCONFIG util.
The 3rd milestone will probably be to make an ELF version of GCC for OS/2
(which I don't belive will be that hard.)
The 4th milestone will probably be to port the C-library. Start of by using
EMX I guess.
The 5th milestone will probably be to create a nice collection of utils
which will enable us to start porting more utils...
The 6th milestone will could for instance be to port Linux VFS to OS/2.
This VFS port will enable us to create a Unix file tree and hopefully
overcome the driveletter issues which most pure Unix util will suffer from.
Later this VFS might also be used to port some of the Linux filesystem
drivers to OS/2...
(This milestone stuff will have to be discuessed further, but this is my
current ideas.)

But, The first criterion is to have a functionable Elf loader and LDCONFIG
      util. You're welcome to help.

I think the ones interested in this project/issue should join the e-Group
named os2nix which now should be open to everyone at e-Groups. We could
continue take up the discussion there.
Please don't abandon Project Odin32!

[...Kilka listów...]

--- Antony T Curtis <antony_at_abacus.co.uk>

This would be a project I could get my teeth in to...

Besides, ahem... One of my little plans/project is to write a PE loader
for FreeBSD 4.

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670