Fwd: SciTech Display Doctor for OS/2 - BETA 7

Autor: Lech Wiktor Piotrowski (lewhoo_at_teamos2.org.pl)
Data: Sun 03 Oct 1999 - 09:48:29 MET DST

               -----------------------------------
               SciTech Display Doctor 7.0 for OS/2
                       PREVIEW RELEASE 7
               -----------------------------------

Where do you get it?
--------------------

You can download SciTech Display Doctor 7.0 for OS/2 BETA 7 from our
ftp site using the following URL:

 ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/sdd/beta/os2/sdd-os2-7.0.0-b7.zip

Please direct all discussion and bug reports for the product to our
OS/2 beta newsgroup at:

If you don't have access to news, you can also read and post messages
to our newsgroups via our web gateway located on our web site at:

 http://www.scitechsoft.com/dnewsweb/top.tpl

What is SciTech Display Doctor for OS/2?

SciTech Display Doctor for OS/2 brings SciTech's proven DOS and
Windows device support technologies to the OS/2 Operating System.
Although one of the core features of our DOS and Windows products is
the support for the VESA VBE/Core standard, the OS/2 version has
nothing at all to do with VESA services. Rather SciTech Display
Doctor for OS/2 incorporates the new SciTech Nucleus, Graphics
Architecture device driver technology to bring SciTech's device
support to the OS/2 platform.

SciTech Nucleus is a binary portable, OS neutral, device driver
architecture. As binary portable drivers, SciTech can fully develop
and test the core device drivers in the DOS and Windows environments,
while being able to target any Intel x86 based OS as the runtime
environment (such as OS/2). This essentially allows the OS/2 product
to utilise the same SciTech binary device drivers as the DOS and
Windows versions of the product, improving the quality and
performance of the drivers for all supported operating systems.

Runtime Requirements
--------------------

SciTech Display Doctor for OS/2 requires a version of OS/2 Warp 3 or
OS/2 Warp 4 in order to run. More imporantly, it requires at least
Warp 3 with fixpack 35, or Warp 4 with fixpack 5 installed. If you
have a version with earlier fixpacks installed, SciTech Display
Doctor will refuse to install.

List of all supported chips:
----------------------------

This is a complete list of the various graphics cards that this
version of SciTech Display Doctor supports. Please note that this
list refers to the actual chips being used, not a board-level
implementation. Thus you will not see any products from Hercules or
STB on the list, but their products are supported because they use
S3, Cirrus, Tseng, etc. chips. Also, any card with less than 512KB of
memory cannot be supported by SciTech Display Doctor.

 . 3DLabs Permedia, Permedia 2, Permedia 2V
 . Alliance ProMotion 6422, ProMotion AT24, ProMotion AT25
 . Alliance ProMotion AT3D
 . ATI Mach64 GX, Mach64 CX, Mach64 CT, Mach64 ET, Mach64 VT, 3D Rage
 . ATI Mach64 VTB, 3D Rage II, 3D Rage II+, Mach64 VT4, 3D Rage IIC
 . ATI 3D Rage Pro, 3D Rage LT Pro, Rage Mobility, Rage XL, Rage XC
 . ATI Rage 128
 . Chips & Technologies 65550, 65554, 65555, 68554, 68555, 69000
 . Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434, CL-GD5440, CL-GD5436, CL-GD5446
 . Cirrus Logic Laguna 5462, Laguna 5464, Laguna 5465
 . Cyrix Media GX, Media GXi, Media GXm
 . InteGraphics IGA1680, IGA1682, IGA1683, CyberPro 2000
 . InteGraphics CyberPro 2010
 . Intel i740
 . Macronix 86250, 86251
 . Matrox MGA Millennium, MGA Millennium II, MGA Mystique
 . Matrox MGA Mystique 220, MGA G100, MGA G200, MGA-G400
 . Philips 9710, 9712
 . Rendition Verite V1000, Verite V2100/V2200
 . S3 Vision 864, Vision 964, Vision 868, Vision 968, Trio32, Trio64
 . S3 Trio64V+, Trio64UV+, Trio64V2/DX, Aurora64V+, Virge, Virge/DX/GX
 . S3 Virge/VX, Virge/GX2, Virge/MX, Trio3D, Trio3D2x, Savage3D
 . S3 Savage4
 . Sigma Designs RealMagic 64 GX
 . SiS 6202, 6205, 6215, 5597/5598, 6326, 5595/530
 . Tseng Labs ET6000, ET6100

Note that there are many more chipsets that will work with our
existing legacy VBE/AF based drivers, that are not included in this
list. For a complete list of all chipsets supported in our prior
Windows and DOS products, please visit our web site. We are currently
in the process of moving all our existing device support code to our
new SciTech Nucleus device driver architecture. The above list only
lists those drivers that have been converted, and we won't be
supporting any chipsets not on the list until those drivers are
properly converted.

Changes in BETA 7:
------------------

. Finally fixed the bugs stopping our legacy VBE/AF drivers from
working! Now SDD/2 should work on just about *any* graphics card,
using Nucleus for maximum performance on new drivers, and VBE/AF for
support of legacy cards. Hence we now support even ISA and VLB cards
all the way back to the old Tseng Labs ET3000 and Trident 8900's!

. Nailed the nasty bugs causing Watchcat, Process Commander and other
fullscreen (and PM) applications to crash. Hopefully now all stranges
crashes in the system with other applications will have been solved.

. Added extended text modes back into the driver, now that the above
problems have been solved.

. Added full Plug and Play monitor detection when SDD/2 loads for the
first time. This will automatically detect the monitor capabilities
and filter the list of display modes and refresh rates based on this
information.

. Updated the GAMon monitor selection program to be more friendly. If
you run this program with no command line and a monitor has been
selected, it now reports the configured monitor information. This can
be used to determine what SDD/2 automatically detected for your
monitor via Plug and Play. It also allows you to force certain flags
on and off, such as DPMS, GTF and 16:9 display modes.

. Reverted to using hardware default memory clock for Matrox drivers
to avoid problems with overclocking memory. Our control panel will
eventually allow the user to overclock their hardware if they wish.

. Added a new GAMemClk command line program, which allows the user to
manually tweak the memory clock on their board to achieved maximum
performance.

. Added a new GAMode command line program to allow the user to add
and delete custom display modes and refresh rates to the Nucleus
driver. Basically this is the Dial-A-Mode command line program.

. Added support for generating a valid GRADD.MOD file when SDD/2
loads. This can be used to provide automatic support for Workspace On
Demand in SDD/2.

. Fixed centering and refresh for text modes in GACtrl, so that the
adjusted values are now correctly saved for the drivers.

. Added support for the Matrox MGA-G400 chipset, as well as
additional support for 24bpp modes on Matrox Millenium and Millenium
II boards. Also updated the Millenium and Millenium II support so
that all high resolution modes are available (up to 1600x1200x32 on
8Meg boards).

. Added support for S3 Vision series of chipsets. The drivers are not
fully QA'ed at this stage, but should work well.

. Added support for more ATI chipsets, including the Rage Mobility
and Rage XL/XC chipsets.

. Updates and fixes for Cirrus Logic drivers, including enabling full
acceleration for Cirrus Laguna 5465 chipsets.

You have received this message because you are subscribed to the
SciTech Display Doctor for OS/2 beta list.

SciTech Software takes great care to ensure that you do not receive
excessive or unwanted emails from our company. If you wish to be
removed from this list, send an email to listserv_at_scitechsoft.com
and enter the following into the body of your message:

unsubscribe SDDOS2Beta

Example: unsubscribe SDDOS2Beta

If there are further problems or you receive a list server error,
please notify postmaster_at_scitechsoft.com.

Lech Wiktor Piotrowski
TeamOS/2 Poland Webmaster
http://www.teamos2.org.pl
OS / 2 = Win ^ 98 <=> Win > 1
Mine OS/2 system uptime is:
This OS/2 system uptime is 0d 11h 08m 19s 875ms (en).