Re: To juz chyba koniec

Autor: Lech Wiktor Piotrowski (lewhoo_at_teamos2.org.pl)
Data: Wed 22 Sep 1999 - 16:31:01 MET DST

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:38:20 +0200 (CEST), Przemyslaw Dobrowolski wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 20:16:59 +0200 (CEST), Jakub Cebula wrote:
>
>>Szkoda, ze to juz koniec...
>>Informacje za: The Register
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/
>
>[...]
>
>Zauważyliście, że tylko Stardock się w tej sprawie odzywa?
>Może to rozgoryczenie, że IBM ma kogoś innego na ich miejsce, albo sami coś
>zrobią? Przecież jak bym olał sprawę to na pewno nie tworzyłbym do końca np.
>Netscape'a. Coś mi tu śmierdzi.

Juz pisalem na liste, ze na Warp Expo IBM oswiadczyl, ze zadne teakie spotkanie nie
mialo miejsca.... A ponizej trochwe dlugasny news ze Stardocka

For the past several months, Stardock and IBM have been conducting formal
talks for Stardock to release an OS client based on OS/2 technology.
Stardock's position was that if IBM was not going to do a new client version
of OS/2, that someone should do one.

Last week Stardock received word from IBM that after much deliberation, it
is not in IBM's strategic best interests to license OS/2 technology for use
as a desktop client. They also indicated that they had no plans to do a
client themselves.

This news spread far faster than Stardock or presumably IBM thought as
Stardock's brief announcement of this news took place only on its own
internal news server (news.stardock.com). No mention on its website was
made and Stardock did not contact any members of the press or make a press
release about this news.

This week, after the news spread to slashdot.org, IDG, and other places,
there seems to be some confusion in IBM on what the status of OS/2 itself
is. I.e. A reckoning of sorts seems to be forming within IBM on what the
future of the IBM operating system is.

The current indication from IBM is that IBM does not have any plans for a
client based on OS/2 Warp Server for eBusiness. However, should this
change, Stardock will appraise its customers of the situation.

Stardock's position remains that for OS/2 to remain even remotely viable as
a desktop solution, a new client needs to be in the relatively near future.
Stardock would welcome such a client whether it came from IBM, a third
party, or of course Stardock itself.

Note, Stardock does not presume to speak for IBM or its policies. Nor
should such reports of confusion on policy within IBM be misconstrued as
giving users hope that there will be a new OS/2 client. IBM's stated policy
is presently that they have no plans to create a new client based on OS/2 or
to allow a third party to do it at this time.

While such phrases as "at this time" implies that they may change their
policy. One can accurately state "IBM has no plans at this time to go into
the gardening tools business."

We do think that IBM will continue to make decisions that are in the best
interests of their customers as they have shown time and time again in the
past. We will keep you informed if there are any new developments.

Lech Wiktor Piotrowski
TeamOS/2 Poland Webmaster
http://www.teamos2.org.pl
OS / 2 = Win ^ 98 <=> Win > 1
Mine OS/2 system uptime is:
This OS/2 system uptime is 1d 18h 37m 47s 945ms (en).