To juz chyba koniec

Autor: Jakub Cebula (jcebula_at_comarch.pl)
Data: Tue 21 Sep 1999 - 19:55:03 MET DST

Szkoda, ze to juz koniec...
Informacje za: The Register
http://www.theregister.co.uk/

Posted 19/09/99 4:59pm by John Lettice

  Wicked IBM execs bayonet ailing OS/2

  At the last minute, IBM has torpedoed plans for a new OS/2 client from
Stardock
  Systems, despite apparently having no plans for a new client of its
own. The decision,
  made by IBM last Thursday, comes after six months of negotiation and
an agreement
  in principle, so it looks suspiciously like IBM corporate would prefer
to see OS/2 dead
  sooner rather than later.

  According to Stardock Object Desktop product manager Brad Wardell his
company
  had approached IBM in 1998,suggesting that Stardock license OS/2
technology on an
  OEM basis and make a new client available. Stardock's proposal won
support from
  OS/2 partisans within IBM, and six months were spent thrashing out the
details of the
  product: "everything from potential names down to which minute
components would or
  would not be included," says Wardell.

  The culmination of this process took place last week, where the IBMers
in favour of the
  deal made their pitch at executive level - and were told "nope."

  Says Wardell: "The call has been made -- there will be no new client
from Stardock
  and IBM has indicated that they have no plans for an OS/2 based client
of their own...
  they have decided that it is currently not in IBM's or their
customer's interests to
  license any current OS/2 technology on an OEM-basis... IBM has simply
finally made
  the decision that a new OS/2 client would be in conflict with their
strategic directions."

  So far, we can only speculate as to why the existence of what would
inevitably be a
  relatively small number of updated OS/2 clients would conflict with
IBM's strategic
  directions. IBM has made its intention of moving OS/2 users over onto
thin clients and
  then magically disappearing them pretty clear for some years now, so
maybe having
  OS/2 fat clients staying viable is seen as conflicting with this. Or
then again there
  might be an outside chance that IBM doesn't want to do an OEM
licensing deal
  because it intends to open source OS/2.

  We confidently predict this will happen one day - but we can't help
noticing that IBM
  doesn't generally get around to giving stuff away until it's too old
for most people to
  care. It's the Smithsonian approach to open source... Ž