Fwd: [21Warp Mailing List] It is for real now!

Autor: Andrzej J. Piotrowski (A_J_P_at_it.com.pl)
Data: Wed 23 Dec 1998 - 18:24:30 MET

Cos takiego poszlo do IBMa

********
21Warp MailingList

                        Haarlem, December 23, 1998

Okay guys & girls!

We placed the order with IBM:

Dear IBM,

Our company is specialized in mail-order sales of OS/2 Warp
products. Our customers asked us to start taking pre-orders for a
new version of OS/2 Warp (version 5?).

We started taking pre-orders, only from people entering their data
on our web-site. We suggested a price level of US$ 100 excl. tax and
shipping.

We so far accepted over 6000 orders and based on these orders expect
a total of 7000 orders this year and at least 13000 next year.

So please accept our firm order for 7.000 copies of a new OS/2 Warp
version for a total of US$ 700.000 and our expected order for at
least 13.000 copies for a total of US$ 1.300.000 next year.

Our feeling is that this is of course only a small subset of
potential customers. At the recent HCC fair in the Netherlands which
attracted over 115.000 people we noticed a growing disappointment in
Microsoft products and a strongly growing interest in alternative
operating systems such as Linux and BeOS. A renewed OS/2 could
attract many new customers and could help IBM with their sales of
OS/2 to large accounts. Interest in Java-solutions would grow if
there was more diversity in operating systems.

Non-delivery of a new Warp client will also mean that the people
and companies who now pre-ordered a new Warp 5 Client may stop
using other IBM/Lotus products such as Notes, DB2, TX Series,
MQseries, SmartSuite, etc.

If you wish we can send you a list of comments from our customers
about suggested functionality for this new Warp version.

Regards,

M.B. de Jong
General Manager, Mensys B.V.

Kind regards,