Fwd: Partition Magic's Response!

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Tue 29 Sep 1998 - 10:50:43 MET DST

 Here's the response from Power Quest via WarpCast

****************************** WarpCast ***************************
Source: Candice Steelman (candices_at_powerquest.com)
Moderator: Dirk Terrell (admin_at_os2ss.com)

OS/2 Group *

I see you're still as feisty and kickin' as ever! From the
number of emails and phone calls we've received in the last
few days, after the release of PartitionMagic 4.0, I'd say
you have a real time chat line that operates 24/7.

Unfortunately, the messages we've received have taken the
information that PartitionMagic no longer has a native OS/2
executable, escalated it, and turned it into the false
notion that PowerQuest no longer supports OS/2 in any of
its products. So, let's get back to reality here and look
at the situation.

PartitionMagic 4.0 does support OS/2 * the product has full
support for HPFS, including extended attributes, even in
the FAT file system. The only thing it does not have is
the native text version executable.

A yellow paper titled Important Notice, included in the
box, outlines what you must do to run PartitionMagic 4.0
with OS/2. It will direct you to go to command mode, and
select a DOS window, change drives to the CD-ROM, change
directories to the OS/2INST subdirectory, run MAKEDISK.BAT,
and insert a 3.5" 1.44MB diskette. You will need two
floppies for this operation. The floppies will then contain
the DOS graphical user interface version of PartitionMagic
4.0. You do not need DOS to do this, as the ability to get
a DOS window or full screen is included in OS/2, version
2.01+.

So, out of all the pluses of the new PartitionMagic version
* being able to visually see what you want to accomplish
before you partition, being able to batch commands * the
only negative is that you do have to reboot to run
PartitionMagic 4.0.

One gentleman called our product manager and suggested that
we put the native executable as a separate item on the CD.
If we did that, OS/2ers wouldn't be able to use the new
features in 4.0; they would have the equivalent of 3.0.

When we were developing the product, there was a long list
of features that employees and customers wanted. As
development time went on, that had to be whittled down.
That doesn't mean the least important features were cut;
not at all. Other factors, such as time, where we were in
the process of each feature, etc., helped make that
determination.

However, I want you to know that your input has been taken
quite seriously by everyone involved * by Scott Flinders,
PowerQuest's product manager for PartitionMagic, by the
development team, and by top management. They are
currently looking at the situation, and we will report back
to you in two weeks about any decisions made. If
PowerQuest does include a native OS/2 executable, it will
come out as a free downloadable patch. =20

Candice Steelman
Vice President - Corporate Communications
PowerQuest
candices_at_powerquest.com
1-801-437-8932

--Thom

200mhz, 100% OS/2 Compatible Systems $699 +Shipping [200mhz!]
featuring the Graham Utilities

Centari Computers
http://pages.sssnet.com/Confed2
Toll-Free 1-877-OS2-WARP