Fwd: Re: Compaq (Was: Performance Computing on NT...)

Autor: Przemysław Pawełczyk (warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl)
Data: Mon 31 Aug 1998 - 15:18:43 MET DST

Hi,

Szukamy dobrego sprzętu dla OS/2? A Compaq?

Warpman

>| thusly:
>| >There's a white paper about it on their web site, though.
>| Found it. Interesting read.
>| http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/whitepapers/ecg1240798.html
>+--->8

>Thank you. I had thought I had the URL somewhere, but I can't find it; may
>have been lost when my notebook's hard drive did the head-pop shuffle....

>| Sounds like they're supporting OS/2 better than IBM. Note " desktops and
>| servers" in first quote.
>+--->8

>ISTR IBM went with Compaq machines for the big Bank of Brazil sale because
>PCCo wasn't supporting OS/2 any more (and PCCo was rather upset when they
>found out... but not upset enough, apparently).

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Compaq has always been very good about
supporting
OS/2 on their machines, especially the servers. My desktop system at
work
is a Compaq Deskpro 4000 running Warp 4. The only thing I had to do to
get it
installed and running was to download the drivers for the video card
(an S3
Virge, ick!) and the built-in Ethernet. I've heard they won't support
OS/2 on
the Presario systems, their "consumer" line of systems, but other than
that,
their support is very good, usually much better than IBM's support.

Jeff Berntsen
jeffb_at_world.std.com

Przemysław Pawełczyk (Warpman) Freelance journalist
Os. Centrum B 1/89 Phone +48 12 642-13-00
31-927 Kraków mailto:warpman_at_friko5.onet.pl
Poland http://friko5.onet.pl/kr/warpman/